St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 11, 2017 - The No. 20-ranked Washington University in St. Louis volleyball team hits the road for the University Athletic Association (UAA) Round Robin #2 in Chicago, Ill. this weekend. The Bears' action begins with a match against No. 4 Emory University on Saturday at 12:30 p.m.
Download the complete WashU game notes by clicking HERE (PDF).
• THIS WEEK'S COMPETITION - WashU (14-6 Overall, 2-1 UAA) enters the week as the No. 20 ranked team in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division III poll. The Bears will travel to Chicago for the University Athletic Association (UAA) Round Robin #2. WashU will square off against No. 4 Emory (17-2, 2-1) and Brandeis (10-6, 0-3) Saturday afternoon before facing Rochester (11-7, 1-2) and No. 13 Chicago (17-3, 3-0) Sunday afternoon.
• LOADED UAA - The UAA has four teams within the latest AVCA Top-25 poll. Emory leads the way ranking No. 4, while Carnegie Mellon ranks 10th and Chicago 13th, while WashU moved up a single spot to No. 20.
• TEAM STATS - WashU leads the UAA in multiple categories, including total kills (987), total assists (893), service aces (149) and total blocks (137.5).
• LAST WEEK - WashU hosted four teams in the Active Ankle Invitational completing a 4-0 homestand with wins over Fontbonne, Webster, Thomas More and Central. The Bears lost just a single set during the run to Thomas More.
• ALL-TOURNAMENT - Sophomores Zoe Baxter and Leila King were named to the Active Ankle All-Tournament team for their efforts in the Bears 4-0 weekend. Baxter recorded 63 digs while averaging nearly five digs per set (4.85), as King finished with a team leading 35 kills with a .391 hitting percentage and 15 blocks.
• STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE - WashU's strength of schedule determined by opponent's cumulative record ranks 11th in all of Division III, as the Bears past and future opponents possess a won loss percentage of 0.652.
• EXTREMELY EFFICIENT - Junior Julianne Malek ranks second in NCAA Division III in hitting percentage, with a success rate of .418. On the season, she has 191 kills with 35 errors in 373 attempts. Junior Ifeoma Ufondu leads the team with 296 kills, while Malek leads the Bears in service aces with 30.
• DOUBLE DIGIT DIGS - Sophomore Zoe Baxter reached or exceed double figures in digs in 32 consecutive matches dating back to 2016 before finishing the 3-0 victory over Central College on Saturday with eight digs. The Los Angeles, Calif.-native has reached double digits in 19 of 20 matches played this season including four matches with more than 20 digs.
• PACING THE ATTACK - WashU has 893 assists on the season which ranks 37th out of 429 Division III teams. The Bears have featured three setters this season in sophomore Chloe Stile and freshmen Kirby Knapp and Alison Almgren-Bell. Almgren-Bell possessed the hot hands this past weekend as she led the team with 83 assists, including a double-double effort against Thomas More with 30 assists and 10 digs.