St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 20, 2017 - The No. 18-ranked Washington University in St. Louis volleyball team enters its fourth week of play and will travel to Bloomington, Ill. for the Barker Chevrolet Classic II on Friday, Sept. 22 at the Shirk Center.
Download the complete WashU game notes by clicking HERE (PDF).
• THIS WEEK'S COMPETITION - WashU (6-5 Overall) enters the week as the No. 18 ranked team in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division III poll. The Bears will travel to Illinois Wesleyan University for the Barker Chevrolet Volleyball Classic II on Friday. WashU will face Tufts (6-1) at 3 p.m. followed by a match versus No. 25 Cornell (11-2) at 5:30 p.m.
• WE MEET AGAIN - WashU and No. 25 Cornell meet again for the second time this season as Cornell previously defeated the Bears, 3-1, during WashU's opening Bear Invitational tournament. Junior Julianne Malek and sophomore Leila King dominated the middle for the Bears with 19 combined kills and just a single error with nine total blocks.
The Rams were led by All-Tournament honorees Libby Schnoor (22 kills/19 digs) and Jillian Schulte (46 assists/four aces). Schnoor was named the Sports Imports/AVCA Division III National Player of the Week following Cornell's 4-0 record at the Bear Invite.
• DIG STREAK - Sophomore Zoe Baxter earned All-Tournament honors for the third straight week, as she stretched her double digit dig streak to 24 straight contests dating back to 2016. She earned All-Tournament honors three times this year: Bear Invitational (Sept. 1-2), UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic (Sept. 8-9) and Wittenberg Fall Classic (Sept. 15-16). Baxter recorded two 20 dig efforts over the weekend and has 189 digs on the season which ranks fourth in the University Athletic Association.
• EXTREMELY EFFICIENT - Junior Julianne Malek ranks second in NCAA Division III in hitting percentage, with a success rate of .461. Among the top-eight hitting percentages, Malek possesses the most kills with 125. She has 125 kills with 19 errors in 230 total attempts. Junior Ifeoma Ufondu leads the team with 132 kills, while Malek also leads the Bears in service aces with 17.
• STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE - WashU possesses the 22nd toughest schedule according to winning percentage of the past and future opponents. The Bears 2017 opponents have a cumulative winning percentage of .636 while Johns Hopkins has the toughest schedule with a cumulative opposition winning percentage of .703.
• TEAM STATS - WashU ranks 36th in total kills in the nation with 544. The Bears kill total ranks at the top of the University Athletic Association (UAA). WashU ranks 67th in kills per set nationally with 12.36.