Altamonte Springs, Fla., April 27, 2019 – The No. 7-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team could not hold onto a lead after doubles play as the Bears fell to No. 3 Emory University 5-3 in the semifinals of the 2019 University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship Saturday in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
Emory won its 12th-straight match to improve to 16-2, while WashU had its four-match win streak snapped and fell to 17-6.
1. Jonathan Jemison/Adrien Bouchet (EUM) def. Konrad Kozlowski/Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) 8-2
2. Ethan Hillis/Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) def. James Spaulding/Will Wanner (EUM) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Luke McClelland/Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHUM) def. Hayden Cassone/Antonio Mora (EUM) 8-6
1. #6 Ethan Hillis (WASHUM) def. #3 Jonathan Jemison (EUM) 6-2, 6-4
2. #41 Hayden Cassone (EUM) def. #32 Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) 6-4, 6-1
3. #28 Adrien Bouchet (EUM) def. Daniel Li (WASHUM) 5-7, 6-3, 6-3
4. Antonio Mora (EUM) def. Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) 6-2, 6-2
5. #14 Andrew Esses (EUM) vs. Konrad Kozlowski (WASHUM) 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
6. James Spaulding (EUM) def. J.J. Kroot (WASHUM) 1-6, 6-0, 6-1
• The Bears are 8-5 against nationally-ranked teams this season
• WashU was making its 24th-straight UAA semifinal appearance
• Hillis is 7-2 this season against ranked opponents
• Hillis was won eight-straight singles matches and is 25-4 this season
• McClelland and Vishnubhotla improved to 6-0 in doubles
• Vishnubhotla is now 11 wins shy of 100 for his career
• Emory has won the last five meetings between the two teams at the UAA Championship
WashU takes on No. 2-ranked University of Chicago on Sunday, April 28, at 8:30 a.m. (ET) in the third-place match. Chicago has defeated WashU twice this season 5-4.