Mayfield Village, Ohio, February 22, 2014 – No. 1 seed Washington University in St. Louis advanced to the championship match of the 2014 Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III National Men's Tennis Indoor Championship with a 6-3 victory over No. 5 seed Trinity University (Texas) Saturday afternoon at the Mayfield Village Racquet Club in Mayfield Village, Ohio.
Washington U. (5-1) takes on No. 6 seed and former University Athletic Association (UAA) member Johns Hopkins University in the finals Sunday at 8 a.m. (ET). Johns Hopkins won five of six singles matches to defeat host Case Western Reserve University 6-3 in the first semifinal Saturday.
1. #5 Paxton Deuel (TRI-M) def. Ross Putterman (WASHUM) 6-7 (5-7), 6-1, 3-0
2. #42 John Carswell (WASHUM) def. Aaron Skinner (TRI-M) 7-5, 6-3
3. #26 Jeremy Bush (WASHUM) def. #34 Greg Haugen (TRI-M) 6-4, 6-3
4. Tim Noack (WASHUM) def. Nicolas Moreno (TRI-M) 6-1, 6-4
5. Jordan Mayer (TRI-M) def. Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) 6-3, 6-4
6. Kevin Chu (WASHUM) def. #49 Connor Dunn (TRI-M) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
1. #3 Ross Putterman/Jeremy Bush (WASHUM) def. Paxton Deuel/Nicolas Moreno (TRI-M) 8-3
2. Greg Haugen/Jordan Mayer (TRI-M) def. Max Franklin/John Carswell (WASHUM) 8-6
3. Jeffrey Hirsh/Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) def. Clayton Niess/Chas Mayer (TRI-M) 9-8 (7-2)
• Senior Tim Noack has won nine-straight singles matches and is undefeated in his career at No. 4 singles (7-0).
• The Bears advanced to the ITA Championship match for the fourth time in school history.
• Johns Hopkins is making its first ITA national championship match appearance.