No. 12 DePauw Edges No. 11 Washington U. Women's Tennis, 5-4
St. Louis, Mo., April 21, 2012 - The No. 11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team took a 2-1 lead after doubles, but No. 12 DePauw University won four singles matches to earn a 5-4 win over the Bears on Saturday morning at the Tao Tennis Center.
After each team had posted one doubles win, the Washington U. No. 1 doubles team of junior Kate Klein and sophomore Corinne Rauck trailed 6-5 before fighting back to win 9-8 (7-5) and give the Bears a 2-1 lead heading into singles. The Bears picked up wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles, but were unable to get the decisive fifth victory as DePauw won the match, 5-4.
1. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHU) def. Kelly Gebert/Maggie MacPhail (DEPAUW) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Theresa Petraskova/Natalie Tingir (WASHU) def. Meg Crowley/Claire Marshall (DEPAUW) 8-4
3. Elizabeth Young/Caroline Emhardt (DEPAUW) def. Paige Madara/Betsy Edershile (WASHU) 8-2
1. Natalie Tingir (WASHU) def. Kelly Gebert (DEPAUW) 6-3, 6-0
2. Maggie MacPhail (DEPAUW) def. Kate Klein (WASHU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) def. Meg Crowley (DEPAUW) 6-1, 6-1
4. Claire Marshall (DEPAUW) def. Paige Madara (WASHU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Katie Regan (DEPAUW) def. Betsy Edershile (WASHU) 6-2, 7-6 (6-4)
6. Caroline Emhardt (DEPAUW) def. Corinne Rauck (WASHU) 6-1, 6-2
• It was the third time the two teams have played this season, with Washington U. and DePauw each winning one of the previous meetings.
• The loss was the first of the season for the Bears when leading after doubles (11-1).
• Senior Natalie Tingir earned her 95th and 96th career wins with victories at No. 2 doubles and No. 1 singles.
Washington University (13-6) travels to Orlando, Fla., to compete in the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on April 27-29.