St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 19, 2018 – The No. 10-ranked Washington University in St. Louis volleyball team will host Webster University on Thursday at 7 p.m. in the Field House during its lone match of the week.
WashU enters the match with an 8-3 record, while Webster is 4-6 on the season. The Bears are undefeated against the Gorloks in 27 previous meetings, dating back to 1984.
WashU Quick Hits:
- Senior Ifeoma Ufondu was named the University Athletic Association (UAA) Volleyball Offensive Athlete of the Week after leading the Bears in three matches with 42 kills and a .315 hitting percentage.
- WashU has had three individuals earn UAA Athlete of the Week honors this year: Ufondu (9/17), junior Zoe Baxter (9/10) and Julianne Malek (9/10).
- Malek was named a Co-MVP of the Claremont-Mudd-Scripps volleyball tournament after posting 26 kills and a team-leading eight blocks. Ufondu was also credited with All-Tournament honors.
- WashU went 2-1 at the CMS tournament as all three matches were against Top-15 programs. The Bears beat then No. 15 Cal Lutheran (3-1) and then No. 3 CMS (3-1) and fell to then No. 13 Juniata (3-0).
- Since a 1-2 start to the year, WashU has went 7-1 with four wins over Top-25 teams. The Bears have a 4-2 record this year when facing Top-25 ranked opponents.
- The Red & Green rank 20th in Division III with 2.13 blocks per set. Malek averages 1.08 to lead the Bears and junior Leila King averages 0.95.
Webster Quick Hits:
Webster Gorloks • 4-6 Overall • St. Louis, Mo.
- Webster ended a three-match losing streak by defeating Eureka 3-1 in its St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletics Conference (SLIAC) opener.
- Samantha Kruse leads the Gorloks with 111 kills while sporting a .238 hitting percentage.
- Kelsey Hamann (169) and Jenna Rodriguez (132) split time as Webster's setters.
- Nearly four Gorloks have triple digit dig totals this year: Kruse (149), Hamann (118), Jenna Rodriguez (94) and Samantha Budrovich (94).