St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 6, 2018 – The No. 19-ranked Washington University in St. Louis volleyball program hosts five teams during the Bear Invitational on Friday-Saturday, Sept. 7-8 in the WU Field House and Varsity Gym.
WashU improved to 2-2 on the year, winning a five setter over No. 10-ranked Illinois Wesleyan on the road Wednesday evening. The Bears win marked a couple firsts on the year, as it was the first five setter won and victory over a top-25 ranked opponent in 2018.
The Bear Invitational will feature Birmingham Southern College, No. 13 Carthage College, MacMurray College, Nebraska Wesleyan University and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. Follow all of the Bear Invite action on the TOURNAMENT PAGE.
- WashU followed the lead of two senior members in its victory over No. 10 Illinois Wesleyan. Seniors Ifeoma Ufondu and Julianne Malek downed nine of WashU's 10 kills in the final set.
- Ufondu set a career-high with 21 kills against Illinois Wesleyan.
- The Bears snapped a two-match skid against Illinois Wesleyan and hold a 23-6 edge against the Titans all-time.
- The Bears rank fifth in Division III in total blocks with 44.
- The Bears rank 16th in Division III in blocks per set with 2.32.
- Malek ranks 10th in Division III in total blocks with 21.
- WashU is a single home match victory shy of 500 in the WU Field House
- The Bears are 1-1 against Top-25 ranked opponents in 2018.
- Friday marks Staff and Faculty Appreciation night with matches against Nebraska Wesleyan and Birmingham Southern.
- WashU is 7-1 all-time against Nebraska Wesleyan, falling 0-3 in the last meeting in 2014.
- WashU is 2-0 all-time against Birmingham Southern, claiming a 3-0 win in the last meeting in 2008.
- Satuday marks Kid's Day at the WU Field House with matches against MacMurray and Carthage.
- WashU is 9-1 all-time against MacMurray, with the last match resulting in a 3-0 Bears win in 1989.
- WashU is 7-1 all-time against Carthage, most recently beating the Lady Reds 3-1 in 2015.
Birmingham Southern College Panthers • 4-0 Overall • Birmingham, Ala.
- Birmingham Southern went 4-0 at the Rhodes Invitational, beating Rust, Huntingdon, Brevard and Dubuque.
- The Panthers feature one of the top attacks in Division III after the opening weekend. BSC ranks third in kills per set (15.08), fourth in hitting percentage (.311) and fifth in assists per set (13.92).
- Freshman Shayla Hill leads the Panthers with 21 kills.
- Freshmen Ansleigh Dailey and Reilly Vought have shared setting duties with more than 30 assists apiece.
- Junior Caroline Johnson is averaging 6.50 digs per set after two matches played.
No. 13 Carthage College Lady Reds • 2-2 Overall • Kenosha, Wis.
- Carthage is ranked No. 13 in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) poll.
- The Lady Reds dropped their first two matches of the year to then unranked Cal-Lutheran and then-No.1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps before a 3-0 win over then No. 9-Southwestern.
- Carthage ranks 35th in Division III with 13.19 kills per set.
- Junior Megan Behrendt leads the team with 51 kills.
- Junior Ellie LeCount leads Carthage with 147 assists and 64 digs.
- Senior Katie Laio and freshman Nicole Acton lead the Lady Reds with 16 and 15 total blocks respectively.
MacMurray College Highlanders • 1-4 Overall • Jacksonville, Ill.
- After winning its first match of the year in five sets over Knox, the Highlanders have dropped four straight.
- The Highlanders rank seventh in Division III in total team attacks with 749.
- Junior Olivia Wall ranks 10th in Division III with 197 attacks and leads the team with 76 digs.
- Freshman Kamryn Flesner leads MacMurray with 55 kills.
- Sophomore Brenna Rande leads the Highlanders with 88 assists and eight service aces.
- Sophomore Hannah Harbaugh has a team-leading 16 blocks.
Nebraska Wesleyan University Prairie Wolves • 2-2 Overall • Lincoln, Neb.
- The Prairie Wolves are on a two match win streak, winning five setters against East Texas Baptist and North Central College.
- Senior Kierra Harder leads NWU with 47 kills.
- Junior Cassidy Bellinghausen paces the Prairie Wolves offense with 118 assists.
- Senior Lizzie Saale and sophomore Cera Craven have combined on more than 100 digs.
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Fightin' Engineers • 3-2 Overall • Terre Haute, Ind.
- The Fightin' Engineers opened the year with a 3-2 record with one loss coming at the hands of University Athletic Association (UAA) institution University of Chicago.
- RHIT ranks 13th in Division III with 343 digs.
- Sophomore Katryna Dahlberg is third in Division III with 116 digs.
- Junior Maria Bruner is 39th in Division III with a .420 hitting percentage.
- Senior Bailey MacInnis leads the team with 50 kills.
- Junior Katie Orbeta has 107 assists on the year.