St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 24, 2017 - The No. 12-ranked Washington University in St. Louis volleyball team returns home to the WU Field House for this weekend's Baden Invitational including a senior night match against DePauw University on Friday, Oct. 27.
Download the complete WashU game notes by clicking HERE (PDF).
• THIS WEEK'S COMPETITION - WashU (19-6 Overall, 6-1 UAA) enters the week as the No. 12 ranked team in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division III poll. The Bears return home to the WU Field House and will host Transylvania (17-7) and DePauw (15-6) on Friday during senior night and the opening night of the Baden Invite. WashU will conclude the Baden Invite on Saturday with matches against No. 10 Millikin (22-6) and Hendrix (11-15).
• NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Julianne Malek was named the Sports Imports/AVCA Division III National Player of the Week as well as the University Athletic Association (UAA) Athlete of the Week on Tuesday, Oct. 17. In total, Malek tallied 42 kills with a team leading .402 hitting percentage while averaging a team best 3.23 kills per set in helping the Bears to their second straight 4-0 weekend in the UAA Round Robin #2. She is the 20th all-time recipient of the honor at WashU, and the Bears have earned the honor a total of 28 times altogether.
• NINE MATCH WIN STREAK - The Bears extended their winning streak to a season-high nine matches as they completed a 4-0 weekend during the UAA Round Robin #2 which included victories over then-No. 4 Emory University and then-No. 13 University of Chicago before claiming a 3-0 road victory last Tuesday against Webster University. On the weekend of Oct. 6-7, WashU posted a 4-0 record at home during the Active Ankle Invitational.
• STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE - WashU's strength of schedule determined by opponent's cumulative winning percentage ranks 10th in all of Division III, as the Bears past and future opponents possess a .657 win percentage. On the season WashU boasts a 4-2 record in matches against AVCA Top-25 programs.
• SENIOR NIGHT - Prior to Friday night's 7:30 p.m. match against DePauw, WashU volleyball will honor its lone senior - Lauren Fournier. The Bears have accumulated a record of 115-26 in Fournier's four years including the 2015 UAA Championship and a runner-up status in 2016's NCAA Division III National Championship match.
• MARK YOUR CALENDARS - On Tuesday, Oct. 31 at 7 p.m., WashU volleyball will host Greenville University in the "Green Dot" match. WashU Athletics will collaborate with WashU's Relationship & Sexual Violence Prevention (RSVP) Center in an effort to raise awareness and educate people about the importance of creating a community where violence is not tolerated.
• EXTREMELY EFFICIENT - Junior Julianne Malek was joined by sophomore Leila King in the Top-50 Division III hitting percentages after a 12 kill, zero error in 17 attempt night against Webster. Malek ranks second in the country in efficiency with a . 418 hitting percentage while King moved up to 42nd, as she posssesses a .332 rate. Junior Ifeoma Ufondu leads the Bears with 261 kills while Malek (241) and King (212) have also exceeded 200 on the year.