St. Louis, Mo., Sept. 15, 2017 - The No. 12-ranked Washington University in St. Louis volleyball team enters its third week of play in Springfield, Ohio at the No. 3-ranked Wittenberg University volleyball's Fall Classic this weekend.
Download the complete WashU game notes by clicking HERE (PDF).
• THIS WEEK'S COMPETITION - WashU (5-3 Overall) enters the week as the No. 12 ranked team in the latest American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Division III poll. All three of the Bears opponents over the weekend were at one point voted on in the three AVCA polls released this year, including tournament host Wittenberg (6-0) who currently ranks third. Ohio Northern (6-2) fell out of the top-25 after a 3-1 weekend. The lone Polar Bears loss came at the hands of Illinois Wesleyan, whom WashU also fell to this past week. Heidelberg (4-5) received votes in the preseason poll.
• UAA ATHLETE OF THE WEEK - Julianne Malek was named the University Athletic Association (UAA) Athlete of the Week for the second consecutive week. The junior business major averaged 2.87 kills per set with an overall hitting percentage of .463 in five matches last week. She posted 66 kills, 12 service aces, 13 digs and eight blocks. Malek reached 15 kills in matches twice this week, including a 3-1 victory over Lawrence University with a .619 hitting percentage. In the final match of the week, she posted 11 kills without a single error in a 3-1 win over St. Norbert College. Malek was named to the UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic All-Tournament team.
• DIG STREAK - Sophomore Zoe Baxter also earned All-Tournament honors for the second straight week, as she stretched her double digit dig streak to 21 straight contests dating back to 2016. Baxter earned All-Tournament honors this past week at the UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic after earning honors during the Bear Invitational in the opening weekend. She exceeded 10 digs in all five matches the Bears played this week, including a 22 dig effort against Illinois Wesleyan on Sept. 6. Baxter also contributed eight assists and four service aces while averaging 3.39 digs per set for WashU in a 3-2 week.
• 100 VICTORIES - Head coach Vanessa Walby surpassed 100 victories in her time at WashU over the weekend. She is entering her fourth season at WashU and has led the Bears to a 101-23 (.815) record. Overall as a head coach, Walby boasts a record of 264-94 (.737) after serving as the University of Chicago head coach for five years.
• EXTREMELY EFFICIENT - Junior Julianne Malek ranks fourth in the entire NCAA Division III in hitting percentage, with a success rate of .489. She is the only individual within the top-10 hitting percentages to have 100 kills.
• TEAM STATS - WashU ranks 32nd in total kills in the nation with 420. The Bears kill total ranks at the top of the University Athletic Association. WashU ranks 45th in kills per set nationally with 12.73.