Palm Springs, Calif., March 14, 2018 – The No. 13-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team picked up its second top-five win in program history with a 5-4 victory over No. 5 Bowdoin College Wednesday in Palm Springs, Calif.
WashU improved to 6-3 with the win, while Bowdoin fell to 3-3. The Bears won three of four matches on Spring Break, with two top-20 victories.
Sophomore Sanjna Tripathy posted a pair of victories for the Bears, and clinched the match with a three-set win at No. 5 singles.
1. Tess Trinka/Izzy Essi (BOW-W) def. #6 Grace Deering/Ally Persky (WASHUW) 8-2
2. Lisa Chionis/Sanjna Tripathy (WASHUW) def. Tasha Christ/Rachel Bercovitch (BOW-W) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Ashley Lessen/Libby Jubas (WASHUW) def. Maddie Rolph/Viv Daniel (BOW-W) 8-1
1. #16 Tess Trinka (BOW-W) def. #18 Grace Deering (WASHUW) 6-1, 7-6 (7-1)
2. #17 Ashley Lessen (WASHUW) def. Tasha Christ (BOW-W) 6-4, 6-1
3. Ally Persky (WASHUW) def. Rachel Bercovitch (BOW-W) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
4. Izzy Essi (BOW-W) def. Brigitte Hodge (WASHUW) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
5. Sanjna Tripathy (WASHUW) def. Viv Daniel (BOW-W) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
6. Sasa Jovanovic (BOW-W) def. Lisa Chionis (WASHUW) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
• WashU is 4-3 against nationally-ranked team this season
• Head coach Kelly Stahlhuth is eight wins shy of 200 for her career
• The Bears other top-five win in program history came vs. No. 4 Carnegie Mellon in 2012
WashU has 10 days off before returning to action on Sunday, March 25, at NCAA Division II No. 12 Drury University. This marks the eighth ranked opponent the Bears have faced this year.