Claremont, Calif., March 13, 2018 – The No. 13-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team used a doubles sweep to propel the Bears to a 6-1 win over No. 18 Trinity University (Texas) Tuesday in Claremont, Calif.
WashU improved to 5-3 with the victory, while Trinity lost its second match of the day and fell to 3-9.
1. #6 Grace Deering/Ally Persky (WASHUW) def. Mary Kaffen/Zoe Kaffen (TUW) 8-6
2. Lisa Chionis/Sanjna Tripathy (WASHUW) def. Caroline Kutach/Cheyenne Duncan (TUW) 8-6
3. Ashley Lessen/Brigitte Hodge (WASHUW) def. Andrea De Leon/Francesca Canjar (TUW) 8-5
1. #18 Grace Deering (WASHUW) vs. #45 Caroline Kutach (TUW) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
2. #17 Ashley Lessen (WASHUW) def. Andrea De Leon (TUW) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ally Persky (WASHUW) def. Ashley DeBauge (TUW) 6-3, 6-3
4. Brigitte Hodge (WASHUW) vs. Mary Kaffen (TUW) 4-6, 6-2, unfinished
5. Zoe Kaffen (TUW) def. Sanjna Tripathy (WASHUW) 6-2, 6-3
6. Libby Jubas (WASHUW) def. Francesca Canjar (TUW) 6-3, 6-3
• WashU is 3-3 against nationally-ranked team this season
• Head coach Kelly Stahlhuth is nine wins shy of 200 for her career
• The victory for Chionis was the 50th of her career
• WashU has swept doubles play four times this season
WashU plays its final match on Spring Break against No. 5 Bowdoin College (3-2) on Wednesday, March 14, at 1 p.m. (PT) in Palm Springs, Calif.