Murfreesboro, Tenn., March 5, 2017 – The No. 11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team suffered a 5-2 loss to No. 10 University of Chicago in the third-place match of the 2017 ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championship Sunday in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
Chicago improved to 9-1 with the win, while WashU fell to 3-4.
1. #3 Rebecca Ho/Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Marjorie Antohi/Rachel Kim (CHI) 9-7
2. Alyssa Rudin/Tiffany Chen (CHI) def. Grace Deering/Lisa Chionis (WASHU) 8-5
3. Mindy Borovsky/Sanjna Tripathy (WASHU) def. Ariana Iranpour/Estefania Navarro (CHI) 9-8
1. #20 Ariana Iranpour (CHI) vs. #4 Rebecca Ho (WASHU) 2-6, 3-5, unfinished
2. #11 Marjorie Antohi (CHI) def. Grace Deering (WASHU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Rachel Kim (CHI) def. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Tiffany Chen (CHI) def. Brigitte Hodge (WASHU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Estefania Navarro (CHI) def. Lisa Chionis (WASHU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Alyssa Rudin (CHI) vs. Sanjna Tripathy (WASHU) 1-0, unfinished
• WashU is 2-4 against nationally-ranked teams.
• The doubles win was the 50th of Griffith's career.
• The Bears suffered their first loss of season when leading after doubles.
• Ho has upped her career win total to 161 – 22 shy of the all-time record.
Up Next: WashU opens its Spring Break trip on Monday, March 13, against Trinity College (Conn). The match will begin at Noon (PT) in Claremont, Calif.