Murfreesboro, Tenn., March 3, 2017 – The No. 11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team used a doubles sweep to propel the Bears to a 5-4 win over No. 12 Carnegie Mellon University in the opening round of the 2017 ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championship Friday in Murfreesboro, Tenn.
WashU won its second-straight match to improve to 3-2, while Carnegie Mellon fell to 7-3.
1. #3 Rebecca Ho/Kaylan Griffith (WASHUW) def. Nicholle Torres/Cori Sidell (CM) 9-8
2. Grace Deering/Lisa Chionis (WASHUW) def. Vinaya Rao/Courtney Ollis (CM) 8-3
3. Mindy Borovsky/Sanjna Tripathy (WASHUW) def. Jamie Vizelman/Katie Lai (CM) 8-2
1. #4 Rebecca Ho (WASHUW) def. #37 Nicholle Torres (CM) 6-1, 6-1
2. #28 Cori Sidell (CM) def. Grace Deering (WASHUW) 6-2, 6-0
3. #50 Jamie Vizelman (CM) def. Kaylan Griffith (WASHUW) 7-5, 6-4
4. Vinaya Rao (CM) def. Brigitte Hodge (WASHUW) 7-6, 6-7, 1-0 (15-13)
5. Lisa Chionis (WASHUW) def. Courtney Ollis (CM) 6-0, 6-3
6. Katie Lai (CM) def. Sanjna Tripathy (WASHUW) 6-3, 6-4
• The Bears swept doubles for just the second time this season.
• Ho moved into sole possession of second place on the all-time wins list (159).
• Ho has won six-straight singles matches and is 14-1 this season.
• WashU is 2-2 against nationally-ranked teams.
• The victory for head coach Kelly Stahlhuth was the 175th of her career.
Up Next: WashU takes on the winner of No. 1 Emory University and No. 15 University of Mary Washington in the semifinals on Saturday, March 4, at 3:15 p.m.