St. Louis, Mo., May 13, 2016 – The No. 10-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team rolled into the St. Louis Regional championship match with a 5-0 sweep over No. 22 Denison University in the second round of the 2016 NCAA Division III Championship Friday in St. Louis.
WashU improved to 16-8 with the win, while Denison ended its season with a 15-8 record. The Bears take on No. 12 Sewanee: University of the South Saturday at 9 a.m. in the Regional Championship match. Sewanee posted a 5-4 win over WashU last year in the NCAA Second Round.
"Our team came out solid today. We played our game and put them behind," said 11th-year head coach Kelly Stahlhuth. "We went for for our shots today, which was the key. We executed them and gained that confidence moving forward."
Match-by Match Results:
1. Jamie Silverberg/Grace Deering (WASHUW) def. Lauren Hawley/Meg Chiumento (DENW) 8-4
2. Lisa Chionis/Rebecca Ho (WASHUW) def. Emma Alsup/Ashley Hammons (DENW) 8-4
3. Kaylan Griffith/Aly Coran (WASHUW) def. Megan Hickey/Charlotte Purnode (DENW) 8-2
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHUW) vs. Lauren Hawley (DENW) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHUW) vs. Meg Chiumento (DENW) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
3. Grace Deering (WASHUW) vs. Emma Alsup (DENW) 4-6, 2-2, unfinished
4. Aly Coran (WASHUW) vs. Megan Hickey (DENW) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. Kaylan Griffith (WASHUW) def. Ashley Hammons (DENW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Lisa Chionis (WASHUW) def. Carol Vitellas (DENW) 6-1, 6-0
• WashU is 11-8 against ranked teams this season.
• The Bears are 5-0 at home this season, and have won 24-straight home matches dating back to the 2012-13 season.
• Ho's win was the 130th of her career, sixth most in school history.
• WashU is 12-16 (.429) in 17 career NCAA appearances.
• The Bears swept doubles for the seventh time this season.
• The win for Deering was the 80th of her career.