Palm Springs, Calif., March 16, 2016 – The No. 10-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team finished its five-match road trip to California with an 8-1 loss to No. 8 Bowdoin College Wednesday.
Four of the six singles matches went to third sets, but junior Kaylan Griffith accounted for WashU's only point of the match with her 2-6, 6-4, 6-3 victory at No. 5 singles.
1. #12 Tiffany Cheng/Joulia Likhanskaia (BOW) def. Grace Deering/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 8-2
2. Kyra Silitch/Tess Trinka (BOW) def. Rebecca Ho/Erin Wong (WASHU) 8-6
3. Pilar Giffenig/Maddie Rolph (BOW) def. Aly Coran/Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) 8-4
1. #31 Joulia Likhanskaia (BOW) def. #37 Rebecca Ho (WASHU) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
2. Tiffany Cheng (BOW) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-4, 6-2
3. #38 Tess Trinka (BOW) def. Grace Deering (WASHU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
4. Kyra Silitch (BOW) def. (WASHU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-6)
5. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Maddie Rolph (BOW) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
6. Samantha Stalder (BOW) def. Kate Lee (WASHU) 6-4, 6-1
• Four of WashU's five losses are to teams ranked in the top-10 in NCAA Division III.
• It was WashU's 10th match against a ranked team this season.
WashU dropped to 6-5 with the loss, while Bowdoin improved to 3-0. The Bears have eight days off before returning to action with a pair of home matches. WashU is back in action with a match against Rhodes College at 4 p.m. Friday, March 25.