Sewanee, Tenn., May 8, 2015 – The No. 11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team forced four three-set matches in singles at No. 12 Sewanee, but the Bears came up short in a 5-4 loss to the Tigers in the NCAA Second Round Friday.
WashU finished the season with an 18-6 overall record, the second-highest win total in head coach Kelly Stahlhuth's 10-year career. After winning two of three doubles matches, the Bears dropped the first set of all six singles matches. Sewanee took a 3-2 lead with wins at No. 3 and 4 singles, but the Bears forced third sets on each of the other four courts.
The Tigers took a 4-2 lead with a win at No. 2 singles. Sophomore Kaylan Griffith then rallied from down 4-1 in the second set of her match at No. 6 singles to win 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 and bring the Bears within 4-3. After winning the second set of her No. 1 singles match 6-3, sophomore Rebecca Ho cruised to a 6-1 win in the third set to tie the match at 4-4. Senior Hanna Newstadt and Maggie Crumbliss split the first two sets of their No. 5 singles match both by scores of 7-5. Crumbliss took a 6-5 lead in the third set, but Newstadt battled off a match point to send it to a tiebreaker, before Crumbliss finished with the 7-6 win.
1. Bronte Goodhue/Lindsey Liles (SEW) def. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 8-2
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Clementina Davila/Kate Johnson (SEW) 8-3
3. Aly Coran/Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Annie Veron/Maggie Crumbliss (SEW) 8-6
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Bronte Goodhue (SEW) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Lindsey Liles (SEW) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
3. Christina Merchant (SEW) def. Aly Coran (WASHU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Clementina Davila (SEW) def. Grace Deering (WASHU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Maggie Crumbliss (SEW) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Annie Veron (SEW) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
• WashU finished 11-6 against ranked opponents this season.
• It was just the second time this season the Bears lost when leading after doubles.
• It marked the second meeting in the NCAA Second Round between WashU and Sewanee. The Tigers won the previous match 5-0 May 13, 2011, in Sewanee.
• Junior Aly Coran and Griffith finished 13-0 as a doubles team this season.
• Ho's win at No. 1 singles was her 90th career victory.
• Newstadt finished her career with a 98-42 overall record.
• Ho and junior Jamie Silverberg will compete in doubles at the NCAA Individual Championships May 21-23. Ho will also compete in singles at the individual championships.