Madison, Wis., April 4, 2015 – Junior Jamie Silverberg won four matches to become the 22nd player in Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis history to surpass 100 career victories, leading the No. 11-ranked Bears to a pair of wins over ranked opponents to win the Madison Invitational Championship Saturday.
Silverberg won all four of her matches on the day over regionally ranked opponents to improve her career record to 102-46. She picked up a key 6-1, 6-4 win over Chicago's Megan Tang, the No. 5-ranked singles player in the Central Region, during WashU's 6-3 victory over the Maroons. In the championship, Silverberg also defeated DePauw's Maggie MacPhail, the Central Region's No. 10 singles player, in straight sets. Silverberg also teamed with sophomore Rebecca Ho to post wins at No. 1 doubles over DePauw's MacPhail and Claire Marshall, as well as Chicago's Tang and Ariana Iranpour, who were the second- and third-ranked doubles teams in the Central Region, respectively. Silverberg became the 22nd individual in program history to join the 100-victory club, and passed Natalie Tingir (2008-12) for 21st on WashU's all-time career wins list.
After splitting the six singles matches in the semifinal against No. 15 University of Chicago for a 3-3 tie, WashU got its ninth doubles sweep of the season to finish with a 6-3 victory. In the championship match against No. 14 DePauw University, the Bears won two of three doubles matches, before straight-set wins by Ho (No. 1), Silverberg (No. 2) and freshman Grace Deering (No. 4) sealed the 5-1 victory.
Match-by-Match Results vs. No. 15 Chicago:
1. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) 8-6
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-5
3. Aly Coran/Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Sruthi Ramaswami/Lucy Tang (UC) 8-4
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Megan Tang (UC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Aly Coran (WASHU) 7-5, 7-5
4. Grace Deering (WASHU) def. Tiffany Chen (UC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
5. Lucy Tang (UC) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-4
6. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) 6-4, 7-5
Match-by-Match Results vs. No. 14 DePauw:
1. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Claire Marshall/ Maggie MacPhail (DPU) 8-5
2. Julie Wittwer/Kaitlin Pickrel (DPU) def. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 8-4
3. Aly Coran/Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Taylor Mahr/Carolyn Huerth (DPU) 8-3
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Claire Marshall (DPU) 6-0, 6-3
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Maggie MacPhail (DPU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Aly Coran (WASHU) vs. Taylor Mahr (DPU) 7-6 (7-4), 1-7, 2-1, unfinished
4. Grace Deering (WASHU) def. Julie Wittwer (DPU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) vs. Kaitlin Pickrel (DPU) 7-6 (7-2), 2-6, 0-2, unfinished
6. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) vs. Carolyn Huerth (DPU) 6-4, 2-5, unfinished
• The Bears improved to 6-4 against nationally ranked opponents this season.
• WashU won just one of three doubles matches and lost to Chicago 6-3 at the ITA Team Indoor Championship March 1.
• It was the Bears' second win of the season over DePauw. WashU defeated the Tigers 5-4 Feb. 15 at DePauw.
• With two victories, Ho improved her career singles record to 46-5, including a 22-2 mark this season.
• Deering has won nine straight singles matches, while Ho and Silverberg have each won six in a row.
• Junior Aly Coran increased her career wins total to 91, nine shy of joining Silverberg in the 100-win club.
• Coran and sophomore Kaylan Griffith have won five straight doubles matches.
Up Next: WashU improved to 12-4 on the season with the two victories. The Bears return to St. Louis to host their final four home matches of the season, beginning with a match against No. 39 University of Texas-Tyler Friday, April 10. That match is scheduled to start at 4 p.m. at the Dwight Davis Tennis Center.