Greencastle, Ind., March 1, 2015 – The No. 8-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team finished fourth at the 2015 ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championships with a 6-3 loss to No. 12 University of Chicago Sunday afternoon at DePauw University.
Freshman Grace Deering and senior Hanna Newstadt picked up a point for the Bears at No. 2 doubles, but WashU trailed 2-1 entering singles play. The Maroons added two more points with straight-set wins at No. 2 and No. 3 singles to take a 4-1 lead. After dropping her first set at No. 1 singles, sophomore Rebecca Ho battled back for a 0-6, 6-3, 6-1 win over the Central Region's third-ranked player, Ariana Iranpour.
Newstadt then earned a 6-3, 7-5 win at No. 5 singles to bring the Bears to within 4-3, but the Maroons sealed the win with a 7-6, 6-2 win at No. 4. With the match decided, sophomore Kaylan Griffith forced a third-set super tiebreaker at No. 6 singles, but was edged 12-10 as Chicago finished with the 6-3 victory.
1. Ariana Iranpour/Megan Tang (UC) def. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 8-2
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Tiffany Chen/Courtney Warren (UC) 8-5
3. Jasmine Lee/Lucy Tang (UC) def. Mindy Borovsky/Aly Coran (WASHU) 8-2
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Ariana Iranpour (UC) 0-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Megan Tang (UC) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Jasmine Lee (UC) def. Aly Coran (WASHUW) 6-4, 6-2
4. Tiffany Chen (UC) def. Grace Deering (WASHU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Lucy Tang (UC) 6-3, 7-5
6. Stephanie Lee (UC) def. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (12-10)
• The Bears are 2-2 against ranked opponents this season.
• WashU is 1-2 when trailing after doubles this season.
• Deering and Newstadt won their fifth straight match at No. 2 doubles.
• Ho won her seventh straight singles match to improve to 14-1 this season.
Up Next: WashU dropped to 3-2 with the loss, while Chicago improved to 6-3. The Bears have a week off before returning to action with four matches in California. WashU will take on Kenyon College and Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Sunday, March 8, in Claremont, Calif.