Greencastle, Ind., Feb. 27, 2015 – The No. 8-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team earned an 8-1 win over No. 17 Skidmore College to advance to the semifinals at the 2015 ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championships Friday at DePauw University.
WashU improved to 3-0 with the win, while Skidmore dropped to 4-1. The Bears will take on No. 7 Carnegie Mellon University at 2 p.m. (ET) Saturday, Feb. 28. The Tartans battled to a 5-4 win over No. 20 Washington & Lee University in the first round Friday. After sweeping all three doubles matches, junior Jamie Silverberg and sophomore Rebecca Ho clinched the match victory for WashU with wins at No. 2 and No. 1 singles, respectively.
"It was nice to get that first match under our belts. We knew Skidmore would be tough," said head coach Kelly Stahlhuth. "We have three new doubles teams, so our last few matches have been close. Today's doubles matches could have gone either way, which would have changed the tempo of the entire match. Now we have to get rested and ready to play well tomorrow."
1. Rebecca Ho/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Madie Benn/Brianna Greene (SKI) 8-6
2. Grace Deering/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Yumi Karlshoej/Zoe Valella (SKI) 8-4
3. Mindy Borovsky/Aly Coran (WASHU) def. Caroline Finnegan/Michelle Fuca (SKI) 8-6
1. Rebecca Ho (WASHU) def. Madie Benn (SKI) 6-0, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Zoe Valella (SKI) 6-3, 6-4
3. Aly Coran (WASHUW) def. Danielle Giannetti (SKI) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7)
4. Grace Deering (WASHU) def. Brianna Greene (SKI) 6-4, 6-2
5. Erica Meno (SKI) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Kaylan Griffith (WASHU) def. Michelle Fuca (SKI) 6-4, 6-4
• It marks the first time since the 2008-09 season that WashU has started the season 3-0.
• The Bears are 2-0 against ranked opponents this season.
• It is the second time this season the Bears have swept doubles.
• It was Stahlhuth's 140th career victory in her 10-year tenure at WashU.
• Silverberg brought her career win total to 85.