No. 9 Washington U. Women's Tennis Claims Third at UAA Championship with 6-3 Win Over No. 12 Chicago
Altamonte Springs, Fla., April 27, 2014 – The No. 9-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team gained a 2-1 advantage after doubles play, and battled to wins in four singles matches to earn a 6-3 win over No. 12 University of Chicago in the third-place match at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship Sunday.
Senior Betsy Edershile and junior Hanna Newstadt won 8-2 at No. 3 doubles to give Washington U. the first point of the match, but Chicago tied the match with a 9-7 victory at No. 2 doubles. Senior Corinne Rauck and freshman Rebecca Ho led 8-7 at No. 1 doubles, but Chicago forced a tiebreak. The Maroons took a 5-1 lead in the tiebreak set, but Ho and Rauck won seven of the next eight points to earn the 9-8 (8-6) win and give the Bears a 2-1 lead in the match. Chicago evened the match with a win at No. 1 singles, but Ho and Rauck both earned straight-set wins to put Washington U. ahead 4-2 and Edershile clinched the match with a 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 5 singles.
Washington U. finished the regular season with a 17-5 record, equaling the most wins in a season for the Bears' in head coach Kelly Stahlhuth's nine-year tenure. The Bears will await a bid to the NCAA Tournament. The NCAA bracket will be announced Monday, May 5, while individual qualifiers will be announced Wednesday, May 7.
1. Rebecca Ho/Corinne Rauck (WASHUW) def. Tiffany Chen/Megan Tang (UCW) 9-8 (8-6)
2. Helen Sdvizkhov/Sruthi Ramaswami (UCW) def. Aly Coran/Jamie Silverberg (WASHUW) 9-7
3. Betsy Edershile/Hanna Newstadt (WASHUW) def. Stephanie Lee/Kelsey McGillis (UCW) 8-2
1. Megan Tang (UCW) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHUW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Rebecca Ho (WASHUW) def. Tiffany Chen (UCW) 6-3, 6-4
3. Kelsey McGillis (UCW) def. Aly Coran (WASHUW) 4-6, 7-6 (7-5), 10-7
4. Theresa Petraskova (WASHUW) def. Helen Sdvizkhov (UCW) 6-0, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Betsy Edershile (WASHUW) def. Sruthi Ramaswami (UCW) 7-5, 7-5
6. Corinne Rauck (WASHUW) def. Stephanie Lee (UCW) 6-3, 7-5
• It marks the fifth time in Stahlhuth's career the Bears have finished third at the UAA Championship.
• Washington U. is 2-0 against Chicago this season after earning an 8-1 win over the Maroons April 13.
• Chicago defeated the Bears 6-3 in the third-place match at the 2013 UAA Championship.
• The Bears improved to 16-2 this season when leading after doubles.
• Washington U. is 9-4 against ranked opponents in 2014.
• Senior Theresa Petraskova moved into a tie with Elizabeth Kelsey (1988-92) for 11th on Washington U.'s career wins list with 114.
• Rauck's two wins brought her career total to 104, which is tied with Jenny Stein (2000-03) for 19th on the Bears' all-time wins list.
• Edershile increased her career wins total to 93, seven shy of becoming the 22nd member of Washington U.'s 100-victory club.
• Edershile and Newstadt extended their doubles win streak to 10 matches, while Ho and Rauck have won seven straight doubles matches.