No. 12 Women's Tennis Falls to No. 9 Carnegie Mellon at ITA Indoor Championships
Greencastle, Ind., Feb. 28, 2014 – The No. 12-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team suffered a 6-3 loss to No. 9 Carnegie Mellon University in the quarterfinal round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III Team Indoor Championship Friday at DePauw University.
Sophomores Aly Coran and Jamie Silverberg teamed up to win a point for the Bears at No. 2 doubles, but Washington U. managed just two singles victories as Carnegie Mellon earned the win to advance to the semifinals.
1. Bryn Raschke/Vanessa Pavia (CMUW) def. Theresa Petraskova/Corinne Rauck (WASHUW) 8-3
2. Aly Coran/Jamie Silverberg (WASHUW) def. Brooke Tsu/Angela Pratt (CMUW) 8-6
3. Nicholle Torres/Katie Cecil (CMUW) def. Betsy Edershile/Hanna Newstadt (WASHUW) 8-6
1. Vanessa Pavia (CMUW) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHUW) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
2. Angela Pratt (CMUW) def. Aly Coran (WASHUW) 6-3, 6-0
3. Rebecca Ho (WASHUW) def. Brooke Tsu (CMUW) 6-7 (4-7), 7-5, 6-2
4. Katie Cecil (CMUW) def. Theresa Petraskova (WASHUW) 6-1, 6-0
5. Nicholle Torres (CMUW) def. Betsy Edershile (WASHUW) 6-1, 6-4
6. Corinne Rauck (WASHUW) def. Elizabeth Martin (CMUW) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
• Coran and Silverberg improved to 15-4 as a doubles team in their careers.
• Freshman Rebecca Ho improved to 6-1 in singles this season with her comeback win at No. 3 singles.
Up Next: Washington U. (0-2) faces No. 13 DePauw for the second time this season in the consolation of the ITA Division III Indoor Championship at 8:30 a.m. (ET) Saturday. The Bears will then play in either the fifth- or seventh-place match at 7:30 p.m. (ET).