vs. Chicago (9-2, 0-0 UAA) – Saturday, Jan. 6 - 1 p.m. (CT)
Live Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wustl/
Live Stats: http://bearsports-livestats.wustl.edu/basketball/xlive.htm
Download the complete WASHU game notes by clicking HERE (PDF).
• ON THE SCHEDULE THIS WEEK No. 22 WashU opens University Athletic Association (UAA) play when it hosts University of Chicago (9-2) Saturday afternoon.WashU possesses a 23-7 record in conference opening games in the 30 years the UAA has been in existence.
• HISTORY VS. CHICAGO WashU has a 50-15 edge in the all-time meetings between the Bears and Maroons, including a memorable last second shot victory to clinch WashU's 23rd UAA title in the last meeting. Senior Natalie Orr sank the winning shot with seconds remaining in the 77-75 victory as Ereka Hunt helped the Bears comeback from a nine-point deficit with multiple three-pointers.
WashU and Chicago have opened UAA play against one another for 17 straight seasons. The Bears hold an 11-5 advantage in that stretch but Chicago won the 2016-17 conference opener 75-68.
• FROM DOWNTOWN WashU has the top 3-point field goal percentage in Division III, hitting 41.9-percent of its shots from beyond the arc. Junior forward Stephanie Botkin's 54.2-percent leads the University Athletic Association (UAA), while junior guard Rachael Sondag ranks sixth in the country with 3.5 three-pointers made per game in addition to 26th nationally with a 44.9-percent clip.
• TOP-25 OFFENSIVE RANKINGS As a team the Bears offense ranks in Division III's top-25 in multiple offensive categories including first in 3-point field goal percentage (41.9%), fourth in assists per game (20.4), sixth in total assists (224), 10th in assist-to-turnover ratio (1.30), 13th in field goal percentage (45.8%) and 25th in scoring offense (75.4).
• A LOOK AT THE NUMBERS A look at the numbers reveals that early season indicators towards Bears success are rebounds and shooting percentage. The Bears are unbeaten with a 6-0 record when they outrebound opponents and they also possess a 6-0 record when they shoot better than 45-percent from the field. In addition the Bears are 4-0 when junior forward Madeline Homoly scores 20 or more points.
• RECORDS TO WATCH FOR Senior guard Natalie Orr is two three-pointers shy of moving into a tie for eighth place all-time in the three-point field goals made in school history. Orr currently has 123 triples, two shy of Beth Ruether (Venturella).
Junior guard Rachael Sondag is also two three-pointers away from cracking the top-10 list, as she currently has 112, just two behind Jordan Thompson. Sondag currently has the top three-point field goal percentage (41.9%) in school history, slightly ahead of Laura Crowley (41.8%) and Orr (41.3%). Sondag is on pace for 84 three-pointers this season which would rank second to Laura Crowley's 87 in 2002-03.
• TWO, FOUR, SIX Sophomore forward Kristina Schmelter (55.4%), junior forward Madeline Homoly (50.0%) and junior forward Stephanie Botkin (49.5%) have the second, fourth and sixth best shooting percentages in the UAA.