No. 5 WashU (10-0, 0-0 UAA) at Chicago (7-4, 0-0 UAA)
Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017 • 1 p.m. (CT) • Chicago, Ill.
No. 5 WashU (10-0, 0-0 UAA) vs Millikin (7-4, 0-0 CCIW)
Monday, Jan. 9, 2017 • 2:30 p.m. (CT) • St. Louis, Mo.
Live Audio: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wustl/
Live Stats: http://bearsports-livestats.wustl.edu/basketball/xlive.htm
Download the complete WASHU game notes by clicking HERE (PDF).
• UPCOMING WashU heads into University Athletic Association (UAA) play at 10-0 and travel to the University of Chicago. The Bears and Maroons will kick off UAA play for the 16th straight season. In WashU's history as a member of the UAA the Bears have a 24-5 record in UAA openers, including an 11-4 record in the 15 straight openers with Chicago.
• MAKEUP GAME The Bears previously scheduled game against Millikin which was postponed is now rescheduled for Monday, Jan. 9 at 2:30 p.m. in the Athletic Complex's Varsity Gym. Concessions will feature $1 hot dogs to all fans in attendance.
• NATIONAL POLLS WashU moved up a spot in the latest D3hoops.com rankings thanks to a 10-0 start on the season, and a win over previously unbeaten and No. 8 ranked Wartburg. The Bears are currently No. 5 in the D3hoops.com poll and also No. 4 in the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Poll.
• HIGH OCTANE OFFENSE The Bears have one of the most prolific offenses in the entire country. WashU ranks within the top-10 in several NCAA Division III offensive categories including first in assist to turnover ratio (1.53), third in turnovers per game (11.9), fifth in field goal percentage (46.7) and eighth in scoring offense (80.6). Just outside of the top-10 were the Bears' 18.2 assists per game, which ranks 11th.
• HISTORY The Bears and Maroons have a long history dating back to 1981, as WashU holds the series lead with 49 wins compared to 14 losses. WashU and Millikin first met during the 1984 season, while the Bears have a 13-9 series record against the Big Blue.
• WINNING TRADITION WashU ranks third on the all-time winningest NCAA Division III list with an .803 winning percentage (785-193) in 39 seasons. The Bears are fifth in DIII history with 785 wins.
• UNDEFEATED There are 17 teams that remain undefeated in NCAA Division III play, of which 14 are ranked in the D3hoops.com poll.
• WARTBURG TOURNEY MVP Sophomore Madeline Homoly was named the Wartburg AmericInn Holiday Tournament MVP after a career-high 30 points to help the Bears hand Wartburg its first loss of the season. The Kansas City, Mo.-native shot 12-of-17 from the floor (70.6). Homoly also led the Bears with nine rebounds and four steals.
• ALL TOURNAMENT Senior Zoe Vernon was also named to the All-Tournament team after totaling 17 points against Wartburg, one shy of her career-high. Vernon and Homoly's big games helped increase the Bears to four players with double-figure averages: senior Jenn Dynis (12.2), Homoly (10.8), Vernon (10.3) and junior Natalie Orr (10.1).
A LOOK AT UNIVERSITY OF CHICAGO MAROONS...
• The Maroons are off to a 7-4 start, and recently snapped a three-game losing skid with an 88-59 win over Hendrix. Chicago concluded the December portion of its schedule with a .500 mark (3-3) after starting out the year 4-1 during November.
• The Maroons were participants in the 16th Annual McWilliams Classic at WashU this season and had an impressive 2-0 record with both wins coming in convincing fashion. Chicago handed preseason top-25 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps its first loss of the season during a defensive 64-36 battle, before topping the triple-digit point barrier by defeating Hanover 113-83.
• Chicago's Taylor Lake (10.5) and Britta Nordstrom (10.1) average in double-figures. Lake has not started a single game for the Maroons, while she leads the team in scoring with her 20.3 minutes per game off of the bench.
• The Maroons' Britta Nordstrom was named to the All-UAA second team last year. She averaged 11.6 ppg, 4.5 rpg while shooting 60.3 percent from the floor.
• Expected starting lineup: Britta Nordstrom, Olariche Obi, Miranda Burt, Stephanie Anderson and Madison Dunbar.
A LOOK AT MILLIKIN UNIVERSITY BIG BLUE...
• The Big Blue are 7-4 on the season. Millikin has faced two common opponents to the Bears and are 0-2 in those contests. The Big Blue lost in November to Greenville (82-72) and in December to DePauw (66-62). Millikin will also face the Bears opposition in the Midwest Challenge Championship: Illinois Wesleyan on Wednesday, Jan. 4.
• Millikin is seventh in the College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW) standings with a 1-2 conference record. The Big Blue rank first within their conference with a 79.3 free throw shooting percentage (184-232).
• Yanni Saddler (17.0), Emily Schultz (15.4) and Devin Curry (12.0) average double-figures. Cassie Somers, Rachael Weber and Lauren Moses average more than sevent points per game, while Moses leads the team in rebounding at 7.3 rpg.
• Expected starting lineup: Yanni Saddler, Rachael Weber, Emily Schultz, Cassie Somers and Lauren Moses.