Kalamazoo, Mich., May 20, 2019 – The No. 7-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team could not overcome being swept in doubles as the Bears suffered a 5-2 loss to No. 3 Emory University Monday in the quarterfinals of the NCAA Division III Championships Monday in Kalamazoo, Mich.
Emory won its 16th-straight match and improved to 20-2, while WashU had its season come to an end with a 19-8 mark.
1. Adrien Bouchet/Jonathan Jemison (EUM) def. Konrad Kozlowski/Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) 8-3
2. James Spaulding/Will Wanner (EUM) def. Ethan Hillis/Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) 8-3
3. Hayden Cassone/Antonio Mora (EUM) def. Daniel Li/Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHUM) 8-7 (7-5)
1. #3 Jonathan Jemison (EUM) vs. #6 Ethan Hillis (WASHUM) 7-5, 1-3, unfinished
2. #32 Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) def. #41 Hayden Cassone (EUM) 6-2, 6-4
3. #28 Adrien Bouchet (EUM) vs. Daniel Li (WASHUM) 6-4, 6-6, unfinished
4. Antonio Mora (EUM) def. Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) 6-3, 6-2
5. #14 Andrew Esses (EUM) def. Konrad Kozlowski (WASHUM) 6-3, 6-1
6. Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHUM) def. James Spaulding (EUM) 6-4, 6-1
• WashU was 9-7 against ranked teams this season
• The Bears have lost four three-straight Elite 8 matches
• WashU was swept in doubles twice this season
• Vishnubhotla finished his career with a 92-38 record
• Neves is 5-5 against ranked opponents this season in singles
Following the team championship, sophomore Ethan Hillis and junior Bernardo Neves will compete in the singles championship, while Neves and senior Konrad Kozlowski will complete in the doubles championship. The individual championships are slated for Friday-Sunday, May 24-26.