Cleveland, Ohio, Feb. 24, 2019 – The No. 9-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team secured a third-place finish at the 2019 ITA National Division III Team Indoor Championship with a 5-1 win over No. 12 Pomona-Pitzer Colleges Sunday in Cleveland.
WashU improved to 5-3 with the win, while Pomona-Pitzer dropped to 4-4.
1. Konrad Kozlowski/Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHUM) def. Gearou, Josh/Bellet De Giacomoni (PPM) 8-6
2. Sam Komis/Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) def. Kronenberg, Jed/Comadena, Jansen (PPM) 8-4
3. Ethan Hillis/Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) def. Bicks, Avery/Stark, Charlie (PPM) 8-5
1. #6 Ethan Hillis (WASHUM) def. #10 Kronenberg, Jed (PPM) 6-3, 6-0
2. #32 Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) vs. #31 Gearou, Josh (PPM) 6-1, 4-4, unfinished
3. Daniel Li (WASHUM) vs. Bellet De Giacomoni (PPM) 6-7, unfinished
4. Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) def. Gearou, Sam (PPM) 6-2, 6-3
5. J.J. Kroot (WASHUM) vs. Comadena, Jansen (PPM) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
6. Hirsohn, Quinn (PPM) def. Luke McClelland (WASHUM) 6-3, 6-2
• WashU is 2-2 against ranked teams this year
• The Bears swept doubles for the fourth time this season
• Hillis has won five-straight singles matches and is 2-0 against ranked opponents
• Vishnubhotla picked up his first win at No. 1 doubles in his career
WashU has two weeks off before returning to action on Sunday, March 10, against Millsaps College in Orlando. This will be the first of five matches on spring break.