Claremont, Calif., May 21, 2018 – The No. 10-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team had its season come to an end with a 5-0 loss to No. 3 Bowdoin College in the NCAA Division III Quarterfinals Monday in Claremont, Calif.
Bowdoin, who defeated the Bears a year ago in the quarterfinals, won its 10th-straight match to improve to 22-1. WashU ended its season with a 17-9 mark. The Polar Bears advance to the NCAA Semifinals to take on No. 7 University of Chicago Tuesday at 11 a.m. (PT).
"That is the best team we have played all year. They are extremely experienced and play with a lot of confidence," said WashU head coach Roger Follmer. "We did not get the points, and could not get that momentum to get on a roll."
WashU's senior class Shaun Berman, Jason Haugen and Johnny Wu concluded their career with a 75-26 (.743) overall record and helped lead the Bears to four NCAA Quarterfinal appearances, including a trip to the final four in 2015. The Bears also won the 2015 University Athletic Association (UAA) championship.
"They improved throughout the season and was very happy with how we progressed," Follmer added. "They put it out there and worked hard the entire season."
1. #2 Luke Tercek/Grant Urken (BOWDOIN) def. #12 Jason Haugen/Konrad Kozlowski (WASHUM) 8-4
2. Yangeng Jiang/Kyle Wolfe (BOWDOIN) def. Bernardo Neves/Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHUM) 8-4
3. Gil Roddy/Larry Zhao (BOWDOIN) def. J.J. Kroot/Johnny Wu (WASHUM) 8-6
1. Grant Urken (BOWDOIN) vs. Johnny Wu (WASHUM) 7-5, 5-3, unfinished
2. Luke Tercek (BOWDOIN) vs. Bernardo Neves (WASHUM) 5-7, 4-3, unfinished
3. #33 Kyle Wolfe (BOWDOIN) vs. Benjamin van der Sman (WASHUM) 6-4, 6-6, unfinished
4. Yangeng Jiang (BOWDOIN) vs. Daniel Li (WASHUM) 5-7, 4-4, unfinished
5. Gil Roddy (BOWDOIN) def. Jason Haugen (WASHUM) 6-2, 6-1
6. Justin Patel (BOWDOIN) def. J.J. Kroot (WASHUM) 0-6, 6-2, 6-4
• WashU got swept in doubles for the third time times this season
• The match was delayed three hours due to rain
• The Bears were 10-9 against nationally-ranked teams this season
• Bowdoin also defeated WashU 7-2 on March 12 in Claremont
• WashU has an overall record of 44-24 (.647) in 20 trips to the NCAA Tournament
• Kroot had his six-match win streak snapped with a three-set loss at No. 6 singles
• The Bears were making their 12th-straight NCAA Quarterfinal appearance
Following the team championship sophomore Bernardo Neves and Wu will compete in the singles championship, while Haugen and junior Konrad Kozlowski will complete in the doubles championship. The individual championships are slated for Thursday-Saturday, May 24-26.