Pepper Pike, Ohio, Feb. 25, 2017 – The No. 4-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team could not battle back after dropping a pair of doubles matches in a 7-2 loss to No. 5 University of Chicago in the semifinals of 2017 ITA Division III National Team Indoor Championship Saturday at Cleveland Racquet Club in Pepper Pike, Ohio.
Chicago remained undefeated at 9-0, while WashU dropped to 2-2. The Maroons take on No. 2 Emory University in the championship match Sunday.
1. #15 Kerrigan, Erik/Kumar, Ninan (UCM) def. #23 Jason Haugen/Konrad Kozlowski (WASHU) 8-6
2. Jeremy Bush/J.J. Kroot (WASHU) def. #6 Raclin, Tyler/Hawkins, Max (UCM) 9-7
3. Bethke, Bobby/Pei, Charlie (UCM) def. Bernardo Neves/Johnny Wu (WASHU) 9-7
1. #6 Liu, David (UCM) def. #43 Johnny Wu (WASHU) 6-3, 6-3
2. #22 Chua, Nicolas (UCM) def. Jason Haugen (WASHU) 7-6 (7-3), 5-7, 10-4
3. #34 John Carswell (WASHU) def. #41 Pei, Charlie (UCM) 5-7, 7-5, 10-2
4. Tsai, Luke (UCM) def. Radha Vishnubhotla (WASHU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Kerrigan, Erik (UCM) def. Bernardo Neves (WASHU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Kumar, Ninan (UCM) def. Robin Engel (WASHU) 6-2, 6-2
• The Bears have trailed after doubles in both losses this season.
• WashU is 2-1 against ranked teams this season.
• Bush's win was the 110th of his career, tied for 16th on the all-time WashU list.
Up Next: WashU takes on No. 7 Carnegie Mellon University in the third-place match Sunday at 8 a.m. (ET).