St. Louis, Mo., May 14, 2016 – No. 6-ranked Washington University in St. Louis posted a 5-0 sweep over Grinnell College in the second round of the 2016 NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship Saturday at Tao Tennis Center in St. Louis.
WashU improved to 17-5 with the win, while Grinnell ended its season with a 30-6 mark. The Bears take on the winner of No. 16 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology Sunday at Noon in the Regional Championship match.
"In eight-game pro sets in doubles, they happen so fast and momentum can change on a whim," said 15th-year head coach Roger Follmer. "We have had some rest since the UAA Championship, and this was a good response by our team."
Match-by Match Results:
1. Jason Haugen/Konrad Kozlowski (WASHU) def. Jose Coloma/Tommy Pitcher (GCM) 8-2
2. Josh Cogan/Johnny Wu (WASHU) def. C.J. Ray/Cole Miller (GCM) 8-4
3. Tyler Kratky/Jeremy Bush (WASHU) def. Tracy Johnson/Sam Stickels (GCM) 9-7
1. John Carswell (WASHU) def. Jose Coloma (GCM) 6-0, 6-3
2. JTyler KratkySHU) def. Cole Miller (GCM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Tyler Kratky (WASHU) vs. C.J. Ray (GCM) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
4. Jason Haugen (WASHJeremy Bushy Johnson (GCM) 6-2, 3-0, unfinished
5. Jeremy Bush (WASHU) vs. Sam Stickels (GCM) 6-2, 5-2, unfinished
6. Jake Klein (WASHU) vs. Tommy Pitcher (GCM) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
• WashU has an overall record of 39-21 (.650) in 18 trips to the NCAA Tournament.
• Kratky upped his career win total to 117, one shy 13th on all-time WashU list
• Haugen picked up his 60th career victory.
• The Bears have won 17 or more matches in 11-straight seasons.