Mason, Ohio, May 20, 2015 – Senior Kevin Chu posted a pair of wins in the final match of his career to lead the No. 3-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team to a 5-3 win over No. 8 University of Chicago in the third-place match of the 2015 NCAA Division III Championship Wednesday in Mason, Ohio.
Chu teamed with freshman Jason Haugen for a 9-7 win at No. 2 doubles, and then posted a 6-1, 7-5 victory over No. 27-ranked David Liu at No. 6 singles. Chu ends his four-year career with a 116-49 record, and is 14th in school history in all-time wins.
"This was a great year and a great ending for our four seniors," said 14th-year head coach Roger Follmer, who is 2-4 in NCAA third-place matches. "It was another fantastic season for our program with a lot of strong competition we faced this spring. Because of that tough competition, I felt we were prepared for some of the powerhouse programs we beat and hung with here in Mason, Ohio."
Juniors Josh Cogan and Tyler Kratky continued its tear through the NCAA Tournament with an 8-3 victory at No. 3 doubles. The duo won all five matches in the NCAA Tournament and finished the season 9-0.
Leading 2-1 after doubles play, freshman Johnny Wu and Chu posted wins to get the Bears a point from the win. Sophomore Jeremy Bush secured the third-place victory with a 6-4, 7-5 win at No. 3 singles. The third-place finish is tied for the second highest in school history.
Washington U. improved its overall record to 22-6, tying a single-season school record for wins set in the 2008-09 season. Chicago, who made its first NCAA Semifinal appearance, ends its season with a 19-7 mark.
The Class of 2015 – Chu, Parker Chang, Ross Putterman and Eric Zishka – guided WashU to an 81-24 overall record in four seasons. The Bears won a pair of UAA Championships and made three Final Four Appearances.
Carswell and Putterman will represent Washington U. in the 32-man singles draw, while Putterman and Bush were one of 16 doubles teams selected. First-round action begins Thursday at 11 a.m. (ET).
1. Ankur Bhargava/Deepak Sabada (UCM) def. Jeremy Bush/Ross Putterman (WASHUM) 8-6
2. Kevin Chu/Jason Haugen (WASHUM) def. Max Hawkins/Luke Tsai (UCM) 9-7
3. Josh Cogan/Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) def. Nicolas Chua/David Liu (UCM) 8-3
1. #1 Nicolas Chua (UCM) def. John Carswell (WASHUM) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
2. #37 Ross Putterman (WASHUM) vs. Sven Kranz (UCM) 7-5, 4-6, 1-0, unfinished
3. #45 Jeremy Bush (WASHUM) def. Deepak Sabada (UCM) 6-4, 7-5
4. Peter Leung (UCM) def. #14 Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) 6-0, 6-4
5. #26 Johnny Wu (WASHUM) def. Luke Tsai (UCM) 6-1, 6-3
6. Kevin Chu (WASHUM) def. #27 David Liu (UCM) 6-1, 7-5
• The Bears are 17-6 against nationally ranked teams this season.
• WashU was 24-3 at No. 4 singles and 25-3 at No. 6 singles this season.
• Wu posted a 5-0 record in NCAA Tournament play, including three clinching wins.
• Follmer is 256-80 (.762) in 14 seasons as head coach for WashU.