Altamonte Springs, Fla. April 26, 2015 – No. 2 seed Washington University in St. Louis fell short of its third-straight conference title with a 5-4 loss to No. 1 seed Emory University Sunday in the championship match of the University Athletic Association (UAA) Men's Tennis Championship Sunday at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
WashU, who was making its 10th-straight and 20th overall appearance in the UAA title match, jumped ahead for the third-straight day after winning two of three doubles match. Emory battled back in singles, and secured the conference title after Rafe Mosetick save seven match points in a three-set win at No. 3 singles over junior Tyler Kratky.
Emory improved its overall record to 16-6 and won its 24th UAA championship, while Washington U. had its six-match win streak snapped and fell to 18-5.
1. Jeremy Bush/Ross Putterman (WASHUM) def. #5 Alex Ruderman/Ian Wagner (EU) 8-6
2. Rafe Mosetick/David Omsky (EU) def. Kevin Chu/Jason Haugen (WASHUM) 8-5
3. Josh Cogan/Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) def. Eric Halpern/Aman Manji (EU) 8-5
1. #4 Alex Ruderman (EU) def. John Carswell (WASHUM) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
2. #13 Eric Halpern (EU) def. #37 Ross Putterman (WASHUM) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3. #29 Rafe Mosetick (EU) def. #14 Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-4)
4. #26 Johnny Wu (WASHUM) def. #30 Ian Wagner (EU) 7-6 (7-5), 2-6, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Josh Goodman (EU) def. #48 Kevin Chu (WASHUM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jason Haugen (WASHUM) def. Aman Manji (EU) 6-1, 6-2
• The Bears are 14-5 against nationally ranked teams this season.
• Juniors Josh Cogan and Tyler Kratky improved to 4-0 at No. 3 doubles and won all three matches at the UAA Championship.
• Sophomore Jeremy Bush and senior Ross Putterman went 3-0 at No. 1 doubles at the UAA Championship.
• The Bears are 21-2 at No. 4 and No. 6 singles this season.
• Freshman Johnny Wu improved to 3-0 against nationally ranked opponents.
Up Next: The NCAA bracket will be announced Monday, May 4, at 11 a.m., while the individual qualifiers will be announced Wednesday, May 6 at 6 p.m.