No. 2 Washington U. Men’s Tennis reaches NCAA Quarterfinals with 5-2 Win over No. 13 Whitman
St. Louis, Mo., May 11, 2014 – The No. 2-ranked Washington University men's tennis team advanced to the NCAA Quarterfinals for the eighth-straight year by defeating No. 13 Whitman College 5-2 at the Tao Tennis Center Sunday in St. Louis.
Washington U. held a lead after doubles play 11th straight-match and 19th time this season. The pairing of freshman John Carswell and sophomore Josh Cogan battled back to win 8-6 at No. 2 doubles and gave the Bears a 2-1 lead.
Carswell got off to a strong start at No. 2 singles and was the first to finish with a 6-2, 6-2 victory. Junior Kevin Chu followed with a straight-set 6-2, 6-1 win at No. 6 giving the Bears a 4-1 lead. Freshman Jeremy Bush clinched the match for the Bears with a 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 3 singles.
Washington U. (21-2) takes on No. 8 Trinity University (Texas) May 19 in Claremont, Calif., for a chance to reach the NCAA Semifinals for the seventh-straight season. The Bears defeated the Tigers 6-3 in the ITA Division III National Men's Tennis Indoor Championship Semifinals Feb. 22. Trinity defeated Gustavus Adolphus University 5-3 Sunday afternoon.
|1. Malesovas, Colton (WTMN-M) def. Ross Putterman (WASHUM) 6-2, 6-2|
|2. #42 John Carswell (WASHUM) def. #9 La Cava, Andrew (WTMN-M) 6-2, 6-0|
|3. #26 Jeremy Bush (WASHUM) def. Roston, Steven (WTMN-M) 6-4, 6-3|
|4. Tim Noack (WASHUM) vs. Riggs, Andy (WTMN-M) 6-4, 4-5, unfinished|
|5. Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) vs. #28 Jivkov, Petar (WTMN-M) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0, unfinished|
|6. Kevin Chu (WASHUM) def. Rivers, James (WTMN-M) 6-2, 6-1|
|1. La Cava, Andrew/Malesovas, Colton (WTMN-M) def. #3 Ross Putterman/Jeremy Bush (WASHUM) 8-6|
|2. John Carswell/Josh Cogan (WASHUM) def. Hoeger, Jake/Riggs, Andy (WTMN-M) 8-6|
|3. Kevin Chu/Jeffrey Hirsh (WASHUM) def. Roston, Steven/Rivers, James (WTMN-M) 8-3|
• Washington U.'s 21 wins this season are the second most in school history.
• Washington U. will make their eighth-consecutive and 11th overall NCAA quarterfinal appearance.
• Freshman John Carswell has a 17-match winning streak and is 17-0 at No. 2 singles this season.
• WUSTLis riding a season-long 11-match winning streak, the eighth double-digit win streak
in school history.
• The Bears have an overall record of 34-19 (.642) in 16 trips to the NCAA Division III Championship.
• Washington U. is 93-4 at home in the last 10 years, and 120-9 all-time under head coach Roger Follmer.