Washington U. Men’s Tennis Tops No. 9 Carnegie Mellon 7-2 to Win Second-Straight UAA Title
Altamonte Springs, Fla., April 26, 2014 – The No. 2-ranked Washington University in St. Louis men's tennis team won its second-straight and third overall University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship with a 7-2 win over No. 9-ranked Carnegie Mellon University Saturday morning at Sanlando Park in Altamonte Springs, Fla.
Washington University (19-2), who extended its winning streak to nine matches, gains the league's automatic bid to the 2014 NCAA Division III Men's Tennis Championship. The Bears will be making their 15th-straight NCAA appearance. The NCAA bracket will be announced Monday, May 5, while the individual qualifiers will be announced Wednesday, May 7.
|1. Ross Putterman (WASHUM) def. #20 C. Heaney-Secord (CMUM) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1|
|2. #42 John Carswell (WASHUM) def. #41 Will Duncan (CMUM) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3|
|3. Kiril Kirkov (CMUM) def. #26 Jeremy Bush (WASHUM) 6-4, 6-2|
|4. Tim Noack (WASHUM) def. #45 Kenny Zheng (CMUM) 6-1, 6-2|
|5. Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) def. Kunal Wadwani (CMUM) 2-6, 6-2, 10-3|
|6. Kevin Chu (WASHUM) def. Yuvraj Kumar (CMUM) 6-4, 6-3|
|1. #3 Ross Putterman/Jeremy Bush (WASHUM) def. C. Heaney-Secord/Will Duncan (CMUM) 8-5|
|2. Kiril Kirkov/Bryce Beisswanger (CMUM) def. John Carswell/Josh Cogan (WASHUM) 9-7|
|3. Kevin Chu/Jeffrey Hirsh (WASHUM) def. Joel Lankford/Yuvraj Kumar (CMUM) 8-6|
• Washington U. has won three UAA titles in school history – 2009, 2013 and 2014.
• Washington U. was making its ninth-straight appearance in the UAA Championship match.
• Carnegie Mellon is ranked No. 9 in the ITA Top-30 Poll, while Washington U. entered the match No. 2.
• Washington. U. is 13-1 against nationally ranked team this season.
• Freshman John Carswell has won 16-straight singles matches and is 16-0 at No. 2 singles.
• Carswell is 8-0 this season against ranked opponents in singles.
• Freshman Jeremy Bush, Carswell and juniors Kevin Chu and Ross Putterman each posted a 5-1 record at UAAs.