Men’s Soccer Falls at Carnegie Mellon in Double Overtime

Men’s Soccer Falls at Carnegie Mellon in Double Overtime

Pittsburgh, Pa., Oct. 11, 2014 – A penalty kick by Carnegie Mellon University in the 108th minute lifted the Tartans to a 1-0 double-overtime win over the Washington University in St. Louis men's soccer team in a University Athletic Association (UAA) match Saturday afternoon.

After playing to a 0-0 tie in regulation, Washington U. had a chance to win the match in the 95th minute when Carnegie Mellon was whistled for a handball in the box. Junior Jack West's penalty kick was saved by Tartan goalkeeper Jacob Rice to preserve the 0-0 tie and the teams went to a second overtime. Neither team took any shots in the second overtime until a handball was called on the Bears in the box in the 108th minute. Connor Webb converted the penalty kick for his eighth goal of the season to give Carnegie Mellon the win.

Although Carnegie Mellon finished the first half with a 5-1 shot advantage, neither team was able to establish possession in the opening frame. The Bears' lone shot of the half came in the third minute when West made a shot from the left side of the box, but Rice was able to easily make the save on the ground. The Bears had two free kicks on the right side of the field outside the box in the half, but Carnegie Mellon cleared the ball both times before Washington U. could collect the ball for a shot.

The Tartans had their best scoring opportunities in the final three minutes of the half. In the 43rd minute, Carnegie Mellon found Connor Webb open in front of the net for a header, but sophomore goalkeeper Daniel Geanon punched the ball over the crossbar. After a corner kick by the Tartans, they sent another ball into the box for a header, but Geanon made another save to keep the shutout intact and the teams went to halftime tied 0-0.

The teams combined for five shots in the second half, and neither team was able to find the back of the net to send the match to overtime. In the 81st minute, the ball got played to the top of box, and sophomore Jake Shapiro fired a sharp shot, but it went straight to Rice.

Carnegie Mellon finished with a 9-6 shot advantage in the match, but Washington U. placed all six of its shots on frame. Geanon (3-3) equaled his season-high with five saves in the match for the Bears.

Washington U. dropped to 6-4-1 on the season and 0-2-0 in the UAA, while Carnegie Mellon is 7-3-1, 1-0-1 in conference play. The Bears continue their four-match roadtrip by traveling to Cleveland, Ohio, Friday, Oct. 17, to face Case Western Reserve University at 5 p.m. (ET).

Bear Notebook: Carnegie Mellon leads the all-time series between the two teams 14-12-2 … It was the 17th shutout in the 28-match history between Washington U. and Carnegie Mellon … Washington U. is now 4-of-6 on penalty kicks this season.