at NYU (15-1) Fri.-Sun., March 30-April 1
Live Video: http://www.gonyuathletics.com/watch/?Live=279&type=Live
Live Stats: http://www.sidearmstats.com/nyu/baseball/
To download full game notes, click HERE (PDF).
• UAA OPENER WashU travels to New York University (15-1) for the opening weekend of University Athletic Association (UAA) play at MCU Park in Brooklyn, N.Y. Fri.-Sun., March 30 - April 1.
• UNDER THE WEATHER Last year's series against NYU was completely washed out. The Bears and Violets series was the final UAA weekend of the season which left WashU as the UAA Champion with an 8-2 record in UAA play. The Bears are 3-0 all-time against NYU, who initiated their program in 2015.
• UAA PITCHER OF THE WEEK Junior John Howard was named the UAA Pitcher of the week on March 26. He pitched a complete game six-hitter for a win over Illinois Wesleyan on Sunday, allowing just one unearned run while walking none and striking out six. Howard's complete game masterpiece came against one of the top offenses in Division III as the Titans entered the contest averaging 7.3 runs per game.
• UAA HITTER OF THE WEEK Sophomore Thomas Gardner was named the UAA Hitter of the Week on March 26. He extended his team-long hitting streak to 10-consecutive games after batting .455 with five hits, six runs scored, two runs batted in and three walks as WashU posted a 2-1 record. He recorded a hit in all three games, including a 2-for-3 performance with two walks, an RBI and four runs scored in a 15-4 win over Greenville on Wednesday.
• 30TH ANNIVERSARY TEAM WashU had 13 student-athletes named to the All-Association UAA 30th Anniversary Team. Andy Shields (2004-07) and Chris Lowery (2012-15) were two of just three players in UAA history to receive all-UAA honors four times and earn an MVP award. Also earning spots were Ben Browdy, Austin Darmawan, Thor Larsen, Brad Margolin and Brandon Rogalski with MVP/Player of the Year honors and Kyle Billig, Stephen Bonser, Dane Glueck, Zack Kessinger, Zander Lehman and Brian Tatro with all-UAA accolades.
• PITCHING ACUMEN The Bears entered the season with little stability in the starting rotation other than junior captain John Howard. However the Bears, pitching staff has proven to be a strength. WashU has Division III's 19th best earned run average (2.74) to pair up with the 10th best strikeouts per nine average (10.6) and 15th in strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.42). Howard (1.01), freshman Ryan Loutos (1.67), freshman Tim Tague (2.08) and sophomore Matt Ashbaugh (2.63) have top-10 ERA's within the UAA.
• HEATING UP Junior Evan Nagel is leading the team with a .407 average and .556 slugging percentage in the last two weeks of play. In that time he has amassed 11 hits (four doubles) and scored 11 runs. Sophomore Thomas Gardner is also on a tear with a 10-game hitting streak. He is batting .385 in the past two weeks of action with a team leading 15 hits and 18 total bases. Gardner is seventh in Division III with eight hit-by-pitches. Despite missing the two-game series against Illinois Wesleyan, sophomore John Brinkman led WashU with 12 RBIs over the 10-game stretch. He ranks 10th in DIII with 10 doubles on the season.