at Greenville, Wednesday, March 21, 6:30 P.M.
Live Video: https://collegetvticket.com/portal/greenville
Live Stats: http://washubears.com/sports/bsb/2017-18/boxscores/20180321_ixk8.xml
vs. Illinois Wesleyan, Saturday, March 24, 12 P.M. & 3 P.M.
vs. Illinois Wesleyan, Sunday, March 25, 12 P.M.
Live Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wustl/
Live Stats: http://bearsports-livestats.wustl.edu/baseball/xlive.htm
To download full game notes, click HERE (PDF).
• ON THE SCHEDULE WashU travels to Greenville University (5-7) for a single contest on Wednesday, March 21 for a 6:30 p.m. game against the Panthers. The Bears will then return home for a three-game weekend series with Illinois Wesleyan University (8-3).
• UAA PITCHER OF THE WEEK Freshman Ryan Loutos was in dominant form this past week in helping WashU secure two of its four victories on the week. In total he pitched 15 innings while allowing just one earned run on 12 hits and no walks in addition to striking out 21 batters. Loutos pitched the Bears to victory over No. 11 Oswego on Monday by throwing seven innings and striking out 10 before earning a victory over Coe on Sunday by tossing a season-high eight innings with 11 strikeouts. He posted a 0.60 ERA while averaging 12.6 strikeouts per nine innings.
• STRENGTH IN NUMBERS Freshman Ryan Loutos (0.64 ERA, second), junior John Howard (1.26, fifth), sophomore Matt Ashbaugh (2.75, 11th) and freshman Tim Tague (2.87, 12th) have recorded four of the top-15 ERA's in the UAA this season. That does not include sophomore John Brinkman (0.00) or freshman Jared Fong (0.00) because they have not accumulated enough innings to be eligible.
• DOUBLE TROUBLE Sophomore John Brinkman is leading the UAA in doubles (10) while ranking third with 22 runs batted in. His 10 doubles rank seventh in Division III in addition to ranking fourth in sacrifice flies with four. Brinkman has totaled multiple RBI games six times this season including one game which he recorded five.
• STRIKE 'EM OUT WashU is striking out the opposition at an alarming rate. The Bears pitching staff leads the UAA in K's per nine innings by averaging 10.5. WashU also ranks 13th in Division III with that total. Freshman Ryan Loutos leads the UAA with 42 punch outs, and he ranks 12th in Division III. Loutos also ranks 12th in DIII with a 14-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio. The Bears have combined to reach double figure strikeout totals in seven games this season. Junior John Howard's 30 strikeouts are tied for second most in the UAA.
• BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY Sophomore Thomas Gardner is second on the Bears with 17 hits while batting .298 and is currently riding a seven-game hit streak, but perhaps his most notable statistic is eight hit by pitches this season which leads the UAA and is sixth in DIII. Gardner has reached base in 13 consecutive games. As a freshman with 12 plate appearances he was twice hit by a pitch.
• WHEN THE BEARS... score six or more runs, WashU is 7-0... opponent scores in the first inning, WashU is 2-0... lead after six innings, WashU is 6-1... outhit the opponent, WashU is 7-2... face a lefthanded starter, WashU is 3-0.