vs. Coe, Saturday, March 17, 2 P.M.
vs. Coe, Sunday, March 18, 11 A.M. / 2 P.M.
Live Video: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wustl/
Live Stats: http://bearsports-livestats.wustl.edu/baseball/xlive.htm
To download full game notes, click HERE (PDF).
• HOME SWEET HOME WashU returns home to face Coe College (4-4) at Kelly Field where the Bears boast a 4-0 record on the season. The Red & Green's previous five games were in Florida during spring break and featured five teams referenced in D3baseball.com's top-25 national poll. The Bears concluded the trip with a 3-2 record to improve to 7-5 overall on the season.
• UAA HITTER OF THE WEEK Sophomore John Brinkman had a dominant weekend in route to earning the University Athletic Association (UAA) Hitter of the Week honor. The Worden, Ill.-native finished the weekend batting .700 with seven hits in 10 at-bats, which included three doubles and three RBIs. Brinkman currently leads the UAA in runs batted in with 19. He tallied 10 of his UAA leading 19 RBIs during the trip to Florida against top-25 opponents. In addition, he leads the UAA in doubles and ranks seventh in Division III with 10 on the season.
• TOUGH TO BEAT IN REGULATION The Bears have posted a 7-2 record in regulation and have won seven consecutive games that ended in nine or less innings. The two losses over spring break were in 10 innings. The Red & Green's starting rotation has posted a 1.44 earned run average, allowing just 10 earned runs in 62.2 innings pitched.
• STRENGTH IN NUMBERS Freshman Ryan Loutos (0.90 ERA, third), junior John Howard (1.30, fifth), freshman Tim Tague (3.29, 10th) and sophomore Matt Ashbaugh (3.60, 11th) have recorded four of the top-15 ERA's in the UAA this season. That does not include sophomore John Brinkman (0.00), freshman Jared Fong (0.00) or freshman Rees Viersen (3.24) because they have not accumulated enough innings to be eligible. Viersen and Fong combined to hold then-No. 10 Southern Maine to one unearned run in nine innings pitched on March 13.
• STRIKE 'EM OUT WashU is striking out the opposition at an alarming rate. The Bears pitching staff leads the UAA in K's per nine innings by averaging 10.49. WashU also ranks 22nd in Division III with that total. Freshman Ryan Loutos leads the UAA with 31 punch outs, and he ranks 32nd in Division III. The Bears have combined to reach double figure strikeout totals in five games this season.
• PITCH IT N' HIT IT Sophomore John Brinkman leads the Bears with a .380 batting average, 19 hits, 10 doubles, 19 RBIs while also possessing a 0.00 ERA in a total of six innings pitched. He has struck out eight batters, allowing four hits while holding opponents to a .174 batting average. Interestingly enough, Brinkman is a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate when he is in the game as the pitcher.
• STILL HOT Despite a tough schedule in Florida the Bears lineup remained potent after averaging nine runs per game during a 4-0 stretch (2/28-3/4) at home. In the past two weeks, WashU has outscored the opposition at a rate of 2.5-to-1 (68-27). Junior Evan Nagel leads the team with 11 runs while sophomore John Ostrander has scored 10. The Bears lineup boasts four players with averages above .300 and on-base percentages above .400 (with more than 25 at-bats): sophomore John Brinkman (.380/.421), freshman Henry Singer (.370/.419), Ostrander (.308/.417) and senior Auggie Mense (.302/.444).