Friday-Sunday, April 28-30
Game #29-32: vs. NYU (16-12, 4-8 UAA)
Live Video: http://bearsports-livestats.wustl.edu/baseball/xlive.htm
Live Stats: https://portal.stretchinternet.com/wustl/
Download full game notes HERE (PDF).
• NYU SERIES WashU enters the weekend with the top record in the University Athletic Association at 8-2 after taking two from Brandeis on Sunday. New York University (16-12, 4-8 UAA) dropped three of four against Emory over the weekend. NYU has the highest ERA in the UAA and the Bears are 3-0 against the Violets in school history (NYU baseball formed three years ago). WashU enters the weekend series two wins shy of securing the UAA title.
• STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE WashU possesses the second best strength of schedule (.601). The NCAA Division III postseason selection committee determines strength of schedule using (two-thirds) opponents' winning percentage and (one-third) opponents' opponents' winning percentage.
• UAA PITCHER OF THE WEEK Senior pitcher Brad Margolin was named UAA Pitcher of the Week after tossing his third straight complete game shutout against UAA foes. This past Sunday, he shut down Brandeis to continue a stretch of 30-innings without allowing a run. Margolin moved into a tie for sixth place in school history with his 21st career victory and his career ERA of 2.45 ranks seventh.
• CLEANING UP Senior cleanup hitter Christian Santos leads the Bears with 12 hits over the past 11 games since UAA play began. Over the weekend he torched the Judges pitching in game two when he went 3-for-4 with two runs, a homer, a stolen base and four runs batted in.
• STREAK TO REMEMBER Senior Ben Browdy's 45-game streak of reaching base concluded Sunday as the second best streak in school history. Zack Kessinger leads the WashU record book by reaching base in 54 consecutive games.
• TOP-25 POLL STANDINGS WashU is currently ranked No. 20 by D3baseball.com and No. 19 by the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA).
• MINTZ RELIEF Senior Jake Mintz has transformed himself into the ace of the bullpen this season and is nearly unhittable. Mintz has an incredibly low hits allowed per nine innings average, 3.24 H/9. Leading Division III is Tyler Vogel of Wisconsin-Platteville (3.95 H/9). In order for Mintz to be eligible, he needs his innings total to match the number of games WashU has played.
• NUMBERS GAME WashU has outscored opponents in all innings except the ninth. The Bears have scored seven runs in the ninth while opponent's have scored 12 times. However seven of the opponent's runs came in the Bears season opening 17-9 victory over North Park.
• PITCHING DEPTH The Bears lead the UAA in earned run average, with a 3.19 mark ahead of Emory's second best total of 3.34. Both WashU and Emory are the only teams with ERA's below 4.00. WashU has seven pitchers with ERAs below 4.00: Jake Mintz (0.72), John Brinkman (1.80), Brad Margolin (2.01), Zack Kotin (2.70), John Howard (3.14), Matt Clohisy (3.52) and Scott Nelson (3.82).