No. 12 Washington U. Women's Tennis Falls to No. 1 Amherst in NCAA Quarterfinal
Kalamazoo, Mich., May 20, 2013 – The No. 12-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women’s tennis team had its season come to an end with a 5-1 loss to No. 1 Amherst College in the 2013 NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Quarterfinal Monday morning at Stowe Stadium.
Washington U. picked up its loan point of the match at No. 2 doubles where the freshman duo of Aly Coran and Jamie Silverberg posted an 8-6 win over the No. 9-ranked team in the Northeast Region, Jen Newman and Zoe Pangalos. Playing at No. 2 doubles for just the second time this season, Coran and Silverberg trailed 4-2 before winning three-straight games to take a 5-4 lead. After Amherst tied it at 6-6, Coran and Silverberg finished off the win to make the overall match score 2-1 heading into singles.
“Making it to the quarterfinals has been on our goal sheet for a long time, so it was quite an accomplishment and we worked hard to get here,” eighth-year head coach Kelly Stahlhuth said. “Everyone put their hearts out there and played hard. Aly (Coran) and Jamie (Silverberg) pulled off an amazing win because they fought hard for it. This whole experience has been phenomenal for the freshmen. For Kate Klein and Paige Madara this was a culmination of the work they have put in during their four-year careers and it was great that they were able to be part of this.”
Washington U. finished its season with a 16-8 record, the second-most wins in a season during Stahlhuth’s tenure. Amherst improved to 20-2 and advanced to the NCAA Semifinal for the third time in the past four years.
1. Jordan Brewer/Gabby Devlin (AMH) def. Kate Klein/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 8-0
2. Aly Coran/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Jen Newman/Zoe Pangalos (AMH) 8-6
3. Safi Aly/Caroline Richman (AMH) won by walkover
1. Jordan Brewer (AMH) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-0, 6-0
2. Jen Newman (AMH) vs. Kate Klein (WASHU) 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
3. Sue Ghosh (AMH) vs. Aly Coran (WASHU) 6-2, 1-0, unfinished
4. Caroline Richman (AMH) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Gabby Devlin (AMH) vs. Paige Madara (WASHU) 6-1, 5-0, unfinished
6. Zoe Pangalos (AMH) won by walkover
• Washington U. was competing in the NCAA Quarterfinal for the second time in school history.
• All eight of Washington U.’s losses on the season were to teams ranked No. 13 or better at the time.
• Coran and Silverberg improved to 12-2 this season as a doubles team.
• Madara finished her career with 98 wins, while Klein had 95.
• The doubles team that Coran and Silverberg defeated has a record of 19-9 this season.