No. 11 Washington U. Women's Tennis Falls to No. 21 UW-Whitewater in NCAA Second Round
Chicago, Ill., May 12, 2012 - The No. 11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team dropped a 5-1 decision to No. 21 University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in the second round of the NCAA Division III Women's Tennis Championship on Saturday.
After rain forced the match to be moved indoors, Washington U. (15-8) got off to a slow start, dropping all three doubles matches to trail 3-0. Senior Natalie Tinger picked up a win at No. 1 singles for the Bears, but the Warhawks (23-4) finished the match with wins at No. 4 and No. 5 singles.
1. Alexandra Bayliss/Kalla Schaefer (UWW) def. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHU) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Sydney Divelbiss/Annie Smith (UWW) def. Theresa Petraskova/Natalie Tingir (WASHU) 8-4
3. Lauren Aguilar/Megan Kasten (UWW) def. Betsy Edershile/Paige Madara (WASHU) 8-5
1. Natalie Tingir (WASHU) def. Kalla Schaefer (UWW) 6-3, 6-3
2. Kate Klein (WASHU) vs. Sydney Divelbiss (UWW) 7-6 (8-6), 4-0, unfinished
3. Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) vs. Annie Smith (UWW) 3-6, 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
4. Alexandra Bayliss (UWW) def. Paige Madara (WASHU) 7-5, 6-3
5. Megan Kasten (UWW) def. Betsy Edershile (WASHU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Corinne Rauck (WASHU) vs. Jackie Vitale (UWW) 3-3, unfinished
• It was just the fourth time this season that Washington U. was swept in doubles, and the Bears were just 2-7 in matches when they trailed after doubles.
• The Bears earned a 5-4 win over UW-Whitewater at the Midwest Invitational on April 6 in Madison, Wis.
• UW-Whitewater has now won nine-straight matches since its loss to Washington U. on April 6.
• The Bears finished the season with a 10-8 record against nationally ranked opponents.
• Washington U. dropped to 8-12 all-time in the NCAA Tournament.
• Tingir has won 12 of her last 14 matches at No. 1 singles, and will compete in the singles Individual Championships on May 24-26 in Cary, N.C. Junior Kate Klein and sophomore Corinne Rauck will represent Washington U. in the Individual Championships in doubles.