No. 12 Washington U. Women’s Tennis Advances to NCAA Third Round with 5-0 Win Over Wheaton
St. Louis, Mo., May 10, 2013 – The No. 12-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women’s tennis team earned a 5-0 win over Wheaton College (Ill.) in the second round of the NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Championship Friday morning at Tao Tennis Center.
The Bears swept doubles for the seventh time this season, before freshman Aly Coran and senior Paige Madara sealed the victory for Washington U. with wins at No. 4 and 6 singles, respectively. It marks the second time in head coach Kelly Stahlhuth’s eight seasons that the Bears have advanced past the second round of the NCAA Championship.
1. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHUW) def. Sarah Ray/Julie Buursma (WHEATON) 8-6
2. Hanna Newstadt/Theresa Petraskova (WASHUW) def. Kirsten Boyer/Marissa Shults (WHEATON) 8-5
3. Aly Coran/Jamie Silverberg (WASHUW) def. Lauren Schlabach/Erika Nelson (WHEATON) 8-2
1. Theresa Petraskova (WASHUW) vs. Sarah Ray (WHEATON) 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHUW) vs. Kirsten Boyer (WHEATON) 6-3, 5-1, unfinished
3. Kate Klein (WASHUW) vs. Lauren Schlabach (WHEATON) 6-3, 5-0, unfinished
4. Aly Coran (WASHUW) def. Marissa Shults (WHEATON) 6-0, 6-0
5. Hanna Newstadt (WASHUW) vs. Julia Carey (WHEATON) 6-0, 5-2, unfinished
6. Paige Madara (WASHUW) def. Julie Buursma (WHEATON) 6-1, 6-0
• The Bears reached 15 wins for the fifth time in Stahlhuth’s eight-year tenure.
• Washington U. is 14-1 when leading after doubles this season.
• Coran is unbeaten in her last 12 singles matches, while Madara has a nine-match unbeaten streak.
• Madara brought her career win total to 96, while senior Kate Klein won her 94th career match.
• Coran has a team-best 21 singles wins in 2012-13.
Up Next: Washington U. (15-7) faces the winner of Friday’s other second-round match between Coe College and No. 13 DePauw University.