No. 11 WUSTL Women's Tennis Drops UAA Semifinal to No. 2 Emory
Altamonte Springs, Fla., April 28, 2012 - The No. 11-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team suffered a tough 6-3 loss against top-seeded and No. 2-ranked Emory University in the semifinal round of the 2012 University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship on Saturday afternoon.
After a win at No. 3 doubles by sophomore Betsy Edershile and junior Paige Madara, the Bears earned wins at No. 1 and No. 3 singles. Senior Natalie Tingir's win at No. 1 singles came in straight sets over the top-ranked singles player from the Atlantic South Region. Sophomore Theresa Petraskova also earned a straight-set victory at No. 3 singles for the Bears.
1. Clark, Gabrielle/Dawson, Zahra (EUW) def. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHU) 8-3
2. Kelly, Brenna/Padmanabhan, Malavik (EUW) def. Theresa Petraskova/Natalie Tingir (WASHU) 8-6
3. Betsy Edershile/Paige Madara (WASHU) def. Pinsky, Lauren/Wylie, Jordan (EUW) 8-6
1. Natalie Tingir (WASHU) def. Clark, Gabrielle (EUW) 6-3, 6-4
2. Wylie, Jordan (EUW) def. Kate Klein (WASHU) 6-4, 6-1
3. Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) def. Dawson, Zahra (EUW) 6-3, 6-3
4. Padmanabhan, Malavik (EUW) def. Paige Madara (WASHU) 6-0, 6-2
5. Kelly, Brenna (EUW) def. Betsy Edershile (WASHU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Pinsky, Lauren (EUW) def. Corinne Rauck (WASHU) 6-0, 6-3
• The Bears are now 9-7 against ranked opponents in 2012, with six of the losses coming against teams ranked in the top 15 at the time.
• Tingir moved to within two wins joining the Washington U. 100-win club with her victory at No. 1 singles (98-60).
• Petraskova's win at No. 3 singles was her seventh in her last nine matches.
Washington University (14-7) will face No. 4-ranked Carnegie Mellon University in the third-place match at the UAA Championship at 9 a.m. (ET) on Sunday. The Tartans lost 8-1 to No. 6 University of Chicago. Carnegie Mellon swept the Bears, 9-0, when the two teams played at the ITA Division III Team Indoor Championship semifinal on March 3 in Greencastle, ind.