No. 10 Washington U. Women’s Tennis Drops UAA Third-Place Match to No. 7 Chicago
Altamonte Springs, Fla., April 27, 2013 – The No. 10 Washington University in St. Louis women’s tennis team lost to No. 7 University of Chicago as the Bears finished fourth at the University Athletic Association (UAA) Championship Saturday.
Senior Kate Klein and junior Corinne Rauck teamed up for an 8-4 win at No. 1 doubles over the top-ranked doubles team in the Central Region, but Chicago won at No. 2 and 3 doubles to take a 2-1 lead. Freshman Aly Coran and senior Paige Madara each won their singles matches for the Bears, but the Maroons got a pair of three-set wins at No. 3 and No. 5 to take the match.
1. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHU) def. Helen Sdizkhov/Megan Tang (UC) 8-4
2. Linden Li/Kelsey McGillis (UC) def. Hanna Newstadt/Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) 8-4
3. Sruthi Ramaswami/Maggie Schumann (UC) def. Aly Coran/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 8-3
1. Megan Tang (UC) def. Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Linden Li (UC) def. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Helen Sdizkhov (UC) def. Kate Klein (WASHU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
4. Aly Coran (WASHU) def. Kelsey McGillis (UC) 6-4, 6-3
5. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
6. Paige Madara (WASHU) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 7-5, 6-1
• Coran extended her singles unbeaten streak to 11 matches, while Madara pushed her streak to eight.
• Madara’s singles win was her 95th career victory.
• Washington U. is 6-7 against ranked teams this season.
• The Bears and Maroons split their first two meetings this season – Chicago won 6-3 April 6 and Washington U. won 5-4 April 13.
Up Next: Washington U. (14-7) will await the announcement of official qualifiers for the 2013 NCAA Division III Women’s Tennis Championship. The team qualifiers are scheduled to be announced May 6, while the individual qualifiers will be announced May 8, both in press releases.