No. 10 Washington U. Women’s Tennis Upends No. 7 Chicago 5-4
St. Louis, Mo., April 13, 2013 – The No. 10-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women’s tennis team built a 2-1 lead after doubles, then split six singles matches to earn a 5-4 victory over No. 7 University of Chicago Saturday afternoon at the Tao Tennis Center.
Washington U. won No. 2 and 3 doubles to take a 2-1 lead into singles. After freshman Jamie Silverberg won at No. 2 singles, senior Paige Madara rallied from a 5-2 deficit in the second set to win in a tiebreaker at No. 6 singles and freshman Aly Coran picked up a 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 4 singles to seal the victory for the Bears.
1. Helen Sdizkhov/Megan Tang (UC) def. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHU) 8-6
2. Hanna Newstadt/Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) def. Linden Li/ Kelsey McGillis (UC) 8-6
3. Aly Coran/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Stephanie Lee/Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) 8-4
1. Megan Tang (UC) def. Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Linden Li (UC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Helen Sdizkhov (UC) def. Kate Klein (WASHU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Aly Coran (WASHU) def. Kelsey McGillis (UC) 7-5, 7-5
5. Sruthi Ramaswami (UC) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Paige Madara (WASHU) def. Stephanie Lee (UC) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
• The win for Washington U. snapped Chicago’s 10-match win streak, and gave the Maroons, the top-ranked team in the Central Region, their first regional loss.
• Washington U. is 5-5 against ranked teams in 2013.
• The Bears improved to 12-1 this season when leading after doubles.
• Silverberg earned her 20th singles win of the season (20-1) and remained unbeaten in singles play in dual matches (14-0).
• Coran has won her last 13 matches (7-0 singles, 6-0 doubles), while Madara has won eight matches in a row (5-0 singles, 3-0 doubles).
Up Next: Washington U. (12-5) is scheduled to return to action with a pair of matches next week, beginning with its final home match of the season at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 16, against Webster University.