No. 12 Washington U. Women’s Tennis Drops Match at No. 11 Pomona-Pitzer
Claremont, Calif., March 9, 2013 — The No. 12-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women’s tennis team was unable to bounce back from a 2-1 deficit after doubles as the Bears lost at No. 11 Pomona-Pitzer Colleges 6-3 Saturday afternoon.
Washington U. dropped to 2-2 on the season with the loss, while Pomona-Pitzer remained unbeaten at 6-0. Sophomore Hanna Newstadt and junior Theresa Petraskova earned an 8-6 win at No. 2 doubles for Washington U., but Pomona-Pitzer swept four of six singles matches to earn the 6-3 win. Senior Kate Klein and freshman Jamie Silverberg won at No. 2 and No. 3 singles, respectively, for the Bears.
1. Kara Wang/Sammy Chao (PPC) def. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHU) 8-4
2. Hanna Newstadt/Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) def. Jamie Solomon/Marie Fleming (PPC) 8-6
3. Lea Lynn Yen/Arthi Padmanabhan (PPC) def. Aly Coran/Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) 8-6
1. Jamie Solomon (PPC) def. Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Kate Klein (WASHU) def. Sammy Chao (PPC) 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
3. Jamie Silverberg (WASHU) def. Marie Fleming (PPC) 6-0, 6-4
4. Mae Coyiuto (PPC) def. Aly Coran (WASHU) 6-4, 6-1
5. Arthi Padmanabhan (PPC) def. Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Lea Lynn Yen (PPC) def. Paige Madara (WASHU) 6-0, 6-4
• Silverberg earned her 10th singles win of the season (10-1), and improved to 4-0 in singles in dual matches.
• The Bears dropped to 0-2 against ranked teams this season.
Up Next: The Bears continue their five-match trip to California by taking on Chapman University at 2 p.m. (PT) Sunday, March 10 in Orange, Calif.