Doubles Sweep Leads No. 14 Washington U. Women's Tennis Past No. 29 Redlands
Redlands, Calif., March 14, 2012 - The No. 14-ranked Washington University in St. Louis women's tennis team swept doubles and won two of the first three singles matches to earn a 5-4 win over No. 29 University of Redlands in the final match of the Bears' five-match roadtrip to California on Wednesday afternoon.
Washington University (7-3) held a 3-0 lead after doubles, and a win by senior Natalie Tingir at No. 1 singles put the Bears one win away from clinching the match. After a loss at No. 4 singles, sophomore Corinne Rauck won at No. 6 singles to clinch the match for Washington U.
1. Betsy Edershile/Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) def. Ceara Sumida/Julia Pollak (UR) 8-4
2. Kate Klein/Corinne Rauck (WASHU) def. Maddie Morton/Shannon Cassidy (UR) 8-3
3. Natalie Tingir/Hanna Newstadt (WASHU) def. Paige Press/Katherine Guimapang (UR) 8-1
1. Natalie Tingir (WASHU) def. Ceara Sumida (UR) 6-1, 6-0
2. Maddie Morton (UR) def. Theresa Petraskova (WASHU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Paige Press (UR) def. Kate Klein (WASHU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Shannon Cassidy (UR) def. Paige Madara (WASHU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Julia Pollak (UR) def. Katie Helfgott (WASHU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Corinne Rauck (WASHU) def. Katherine Guimapang (UR) 6-3, 6-1
• Washington U. improved to 5-3 against ranked opponents this season.
• Wednesday marked the fifth-straight match for Washington U. against a ranked opponent, and eighth of the last nine games.
• It was the second time this season that WU has swept doubles.
• Rauck improved to 7-1 in singles this season, recording her sixth-straight singles win on Wednesday.
Washington University has a couple weeks off before hosting NCAA Division II University of Missouri-St. Louis at 4:30 p.m.