No. 5 Washington U. Women’s Golf Wins DePauw Small College Classic
Danville, Ind., Sept. 29, 2013 – Led by four top-five finishes, the No. 5 ranked Washington University in St. Louis women’s golf team captured the DePauw University Small College Classic held Saturday-Sunday, September 28-29, in Danville, Ind.
After sitting in a tie for first place with No. 4 DePauw after day one, the Bears responded on day two with a 313 to finish 13 strokes ahead of runner-ups DePauw and No. 15 Wittenberg University with a team score of 628 (315-328). DePauw and Wittenberg each shot a 641 to tie for second, while North Central College (675) and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology (684) rounded out the top-five in the 10-team standings.
“We were really focused all weekend. The challenge for us was to play well on a pair of courses we had never played before,” said sixth-year head coach Sean Curtis. “It’s been good competition within our team from top to bottom, and it’s nice to have such a deep team. It’s a good situation, and it’s been one we have been trying to create for a couple years.”
Sophomore Connie Zhou (75-75, 150, second place), senior Andrea Hibbert (80-78, 158, fourth place) and freshman Samantha Han (82-78, 160, fifth place) were named to the All-Tourney First Team, while freshman Xin Fang (78-82, 160, fifth place) earned All-Tourney Second-Team accolades.
Paige Gooch of DePauw led from start to finish and earned medalist honors with a 148 (71-77), two shots better than Zhou.
2. Connie Zhou – 150 (80-78)
4. Andrea Hibbert – 160 (80-78)
T5. Xin Fang – 160 (78-82)
T5. Samantha Han – 160 (82-78)
T10. Jessica Wibawa – 164 (81-83) - Individual
17. Olivia Lugar – 167 (83-84)
T21. Erin Lawrence – 170 (86-84) - Individual
• The 313 on day two was the third-lowest round by the Bears in the 2013 fall season.
• The tournament title was the third of the season and 18th all-time for the Bears.
• The 36-hole score of 150 for sophomore Connie Zhou tied for a career best (2012 Millikin Fall Classic, Sept. 22-23).
• Freshman Samantha Han led the tournament field in pars (23).
• Washington U. led the tournament field in Par 4 scoring (4.52) and Par 5 scoring (5.24).
Washington University concludes its fall season Sunday-Tuesday, Oct. 13-15, at the Golfweek Fall Preview in Sandestin, Fla.