Men’s Tennis Drops 5-2 Decision to No. 3 Amherst in NCAA Third-Place Match
Kalamazoo, Mich., May 22, 2013 – No. 10 ranked Washington University in St. Louis dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 3 ranked Amherst College in the third-place match of the 2013 NCAA Division III Men’s Tennis Championship Wednesday afternoon at Stowe Stadium in Kalamazoo, Mich.
Washington University concludes the 2012-13 season with a 20-7 overall record, and made its sixth-straight Final Four appearance. The Bears also won the University Athletic Association (UAA) for the second time in school history, and has won 20 or more matches in six of the last seven seasons.
While the team championship came to a close Wednesday night with No. 6 Williams College upsetting top-ranked Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges 5-2, the NCAA Division III Singles and Doubles Championship will take center stage Thursday-Saturday, May 23-25, at Stowe Stadium.
Senior Adam Putterman is the No. 2 seed in the NCAA Division III Singles Championship, which begins Thursday at 10 a.m. (ET). Putterman takes on Andrew Guzick of Vassar College in the first round. Adam Putterman and sophomore Ross Putterman are also the No. 2 seed in the NCAA Division III Doubles Championship, and take on Andrew La Cava and Colton Malesovas of Whitman College Thursday at 4 p.m. in the opening round.
1. Joey Fritz (AMH) def. #3 Adam Putterman (WASHUM) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Ross Putterman (WASHUM) def. #19 Mark Kahan (AMH) 6-3, 7-6 (14-12)
3. #9 Andrew Yaraghi (AMH) def. Tim Noack (WASHUM) 6-7 (6-8), 6-4, 6-3
4. #13 Ben Fife (AMH) def. Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) 7-5, 6-1
5. Chris Dale (AMH) vs. Gary Parizher (WASHUM) 6-4, 1-4, unfinished
6. Justin Reindel (AMH) vs. Kareem Farah (WASHUM) 6-2, 1-2, unfinished
1. Adam Putterman/Ross Putterman (WASHUM) def. Mark Kahan/Michael Solimano (AMH) 9-8 (11-9)
2. Ben Fife/Andrew Yaraghi (AMH) def. Josh Cogan/Kareem Farah (WASHUM) 8-5
3. Joey Fritz/Justin Reindel (AMH) def. Jeffrey Hirsh/Gary Parizher (WASHUM) 8-1
• Washington U. has an overall record of 29-18 (.617) in 14 trips to the NCAA Division III tournament.
• The Bears have a 1-4 record in five all-time appearances in third-place matches.
• Washington U. was 10-7 against ranked teams, with all four losses coming to teams ranked in the top-10.
• Senior Adam Putterman enters the NCAA Singles Championship with a 26-7 record, with three losses to DIII opponents.
• The Putterman’s posted a 4-1 record in the NCAA Tournament in doubles and take a 19-9 record to the NCAA Championship.