No. 15 Men’s Tennis Falls to No. 4 Kenyon 5-2 in NCAA Semifinals
RESULTS | CHAMPIONSHIP SITE
Cary, N.C., May 22, 2012 – The No. 15 ranked Washington University in St. Louis men’s tennis team saw its run through the NCAA Tournament come to a halt as the Bears dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 4 ranked Kenyon College on Tuesday afternoon in the NCAA Division III Semifinals at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
Kenyon (22-4) advances to its first-ever national championship match where it will take on No. 2 ranked Emory University on Wednesday at 9 a.m. (ET). Emory slipped by No. 3 ranked Williams College 5-4 in the second semifinal on Tuesday. Washington U. drops its overall record to 18-7 and will have a rematch with Williams in the third-place match on Wednesday at 9 a.m. (ET). Washington U. posted a 5-0 victory over Williams a year ago in the third-place match in Claremont, Calif.
“We were in all three of the doubles matches, but they had the edge on us. No. 1 doubles kept us in the match with the tiebreaker victory,” said 11th-year head coach Roger Follmer. “But Kenyon played well up and down the lineup, and you have to give them credit. Hopefully we will rebound tomorrow against a tough Williams team.”
Junior Adam Putterman remained unbeaten in NCAA Tournament play (7-0) with a pair of victories. Putterman teamed with freshman Ross Putterman for a 9-8 (7-2) win at No. 1 doubles, and then posted a 6-4, 6-2 straight-set win over #26 ranked Paul Burgin at No. 1 singles. Putterman is 30-4 in singles and 24-8 in doubles for a 54-12 overall record.
1. #3 Adam Putterman (WASHU) def. #26 Paul Burgin (KENM) 6-4, 6-2
2. Michael Razumovsky (KENM) vs. Gary Parizher (WASHU) 5-7, 4-1, unfinished
3. #13 CJ Williams (KENM) def. #25 Ross Putterman (WASHU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Wade Heerboth (KENM) def. Kareem Farah (WASHU) 6-4, 6-3
5. Tim Rosensteel (KENM) def. Parker Chang (WASHU) 6-3, 7-5
6. Jacob Huber (KENM) vs. Tim Noack (WASHU) 6-7, 0-2, unfinished
1. Adam Putterman/Ross Putterman (WASHU) def. Tim Rosensteel/Austin Griffin (KENM) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Michael Razumovsky/CJ Williams (KENM) def. Kareem Farah/Parker Chang (WASHU) 8-4
3. Paul Burgin/Kevin Ye (KENM) def. Gary Parizher/Jeffrey Hirsh (WASHU) 8-5
• Junior Adam Putterman moved into seventh place in all-time singles victories (64) and 10th in overall wins (109).
• Washington U. is 10-7 this season against nationally ranked teams.
• The Bears are 10-2 in NCAA Tournament play in doubles.
• Washington U. has dropped its last four NCAA semifinal matches dating back to 2009.
• The Putterman’s improved to 24-8 this season in doubles, including 17-7 at No. 1.