No. 10 Washington U. Men’s Tennis Falls to No. 6 Williams 5-1 in NCAA Semifinals
Kalamazoo, Mich., May 21, 2013 – No. 10 ranked Washington University in St. Louis saw it 17-match win streak come to an end with a 5-1 loss to No. 6 ranked Williams College Tuesday in the semifinals of the 2013 NCAA Division III Men’s Tennis Championship at Stowe Stadium in Kalamazoo, Mich.
Washington U., who was making its sixth-straight Final Four appearance, drops its overall record to 20-6 and will take on No. 3 Amherst College in the third-place match Wednesday at 1:30 p.m. (ET). Williams (22-3) extended its winning streak to 11 matches and will take on No. 1 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges Wednesday at 4 p.m. in the national championship match.
1. #3 Adam Putterman (WASHUM) vs. Trey Meyer (WILM) 2-6, 5-2, unfinished
2. Matt Micheli (WILM) def. Ross Putterman (WASHUM) 6-4, 6-2
3. Felix Sun (WILM) def. Tim Noack (WASHUM) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tyler Kratky (WASHUM) vs. Zach Weiss (WILM) 7-6 (7-5), unfinished
5. Bryan Chow (WILM) def. Gary Parizher (WASHUM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Kareem Farah (WASHUM) vs. Howie Weiss (WILM) 6-4, 1-6, unfinished
1. Adam Putterman/Ross Putterman (WASHUM) def. Trey Meyer/Alex Schidlovsky (WILM) 8-2
2. Matt Micheli/Felix Sun (WILM) def. Josh Cogan/Kareem Farah (WASHUM) 8-4
3. #14 Brian Astraschan/Bryan Chow (WILM) def. Jeffrey Hirsh/Gary Parizher (WASHUM) 8-6
• Washington U. has an overall record of 29-17 (.630) in 14 trips to the NCAA Division III tournament.
• The 17-match winning streak for Washington U. was the second longest in school history.
• Washington U. has dropped five-straight semifinal matches, and has a 1-5 all-time record in semifinal contests.
• The loss at No. 5 singles snapped a 15-match win streak at singles for senior Gary Parizher.
• Senior Adam Putterman moved into sole possession of sixth place on the all-time Washington U. wins list (157).